Chapter Fifteen

Picture of Cody Moen, deckhand on the CM

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

As the fleet continued to fish, the weather took a hard turn. The wind was whipping at 40 knots and quickly increasing. The radar was saying that a huge storm was headed their way and the Bering Sea was getting more dangerous by the second. The crews were getting soaked from head to toe by 30 foot seas and they were numb from head to toe.

"Alright guys, I hate to say it cause I know we were just about to start hauling but we need to stop fishing for a while. I'm not letting you get hurt out there. Finish up this string and then come inside. Travis will have a meal ready for you when you come in," Josh said over the speaker.

"I guess that's my cue then," Travis laughed, heading inside to start dinner.

The first string of their second trip was not going well. They hadn't struck the mother lode like last trip. They were averaging about 15 per pot. That wasn't good numbers when you were trying to fill your tanks.

After the crew finished up the string, they headed inside to eat and catch up on a small amount of sleep. As they ate, they began to talk.

"So Jacyn, it's my understanding that you've been single for a while now..." Cody said.

"Ooo, man, you're treading on thin water," Tim laughed. "Are you seriously doing this right now?"

"Doing what? I'm just making conversation."

"Yeah, sure you are. We all know you're planning something," Jake said, taking a bite of his rice.

"Planning something? What're we planning?" Josh said as he entered the room.

"Nothing," Cody automatically told him and shut his mouth, shoving food into it.

"Should I be concerned?"

Jacyn rolled her eyes. "Trust me, you have nothing to worry about," she reassured him.

Cody's head popped up. "Hey, what do you mean he has nothing to worry about?" he wondered.

"Sorry, but it's the truth. I'm not interested, buddy."

"Not interested? Cody were you hitting on my sister?" her brother questioned.

"No!" he denied.

Josh slapped him in the back of the head. "We all know what happens when you try to get involved with my sister and I suggest you keep your hands to yourself."

"Yes sir!"

"That goes for all of you."

"You don't have to worry about me," Travis said. "I'm way too old for your sister and I got a woman back home."

"Alright, can you guys stop talking about me while I'm still in the room? Ugh, you're so annoying. Working with men is difficult. I can't go a day without getting hit on or something!" she whined, getting up from the table.

She emptied her plate and dropped it into the sink before storming off into her bunk room. She slammed the door, leaving the guys to eat by themselves.

Josh laughed and shook his head. "Women," he mumbled.

"You're telling me," Travis agreed, finishing his food. "Goodnight guys. See you probably within the next two to three hours."

"Probably earlier than that," Josh told him. "But get some sleep while you can."

"Great..."

Meanwhile on the Time Bandit, the numbers were actually going well. They were averaging between 60 and 75 keepers per pot. It wasn't as good as what they were getting earlier, but it would work.

"Get the fuck down!" John screamed from the wheelhouse.

The crew did not ask questions, just did as he said, rushing for cover. A second after they got under cover, a humungous wave crashed over the deck.

"Wooo! That was fucking huge!" Eddie Sr. laughed. "The wonders of Alaskan crab fishing!"

"All clear!" John told them and they got back to work.

Conditions were bad, but they weren't as bad as what some of the boats were experiencing. He had heard that the Cornelia Marie and the Northwestern had been forced to pull their men inside for a couple hours while it calmed down.

Scott was happy about it though. That meant the Time Bandit would have crab before the Cornelia Marie even got a chance to pull some in. And that got him closer and closer to his chance to bring Jacyn out for dinner and prove to her that he was a good guy, could be a good guy. She had experienced nothing but bad with him since seeing him for the first time eight months ago and he wanted her to experience the other side of things.

Scott snapped out of it when he felt a smack to the back of the head. He turned to find the culprit, Axel.

"Stop thinking about Jacyn and start working the hydraulics," he ordered.

"Shut the fuck up," he responded, doing as he was told.

"Scott, can you come up here for a second?" John asked over the intercom.

"Oooo!" everybody exclaimed.

Scott rolled his eyes and headed up to the wheelhouse to talk to his father and his uncles. When he entered, he froze at the glaring eyes.

"Uh, what's up dad?" he wondered.

"I know we've got a competition going on with Jacyn's boat and all, but you're way out of it. You need to act like this is a normal fishing trip. Do you remember what happened last time you let something get to you?" his father asked him.

"Yeah, of course I do! I landed myself out of work for a long ass time," Scott replied.

"And we don't need that happening again. With this weather, you can't be focused on Jacyn all the time. We know you're excited about getting a chance to get her back, but it's too dangerous to be out of it like this," Andy said.

"What is this, an intervention?" he laughed. "I'm perfectly fine. I'm doing my job. Adios amigos."

With that last adios, Scott went back down to the deck and continued to work. His father and his uncle were being dramatic. He wasn't thinking about Jacyn too much. Sure, she was on his mind, but he wasn't whipped. Or was he?

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

PS: I think Scott is whipped ;)