Chapter Seven

Picture of Jake Harris, Jacyn's younger brother

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

Jacyn woke up to a knocking on the door to the bunk room. Nick popped his head in and told her and Scott that they were back to the Harbor and it was time to start unloading. They both got up, not a word said, and headed out to the deck, ready to start the day off with work.

It was like a repeat of a few days ago when she was doing the same thing on the Cornelia Marie. Getting down into the tanks after the cover was lifted off, she scooped crab up and threw them into the big basket that was collecting them. It once again took a couple of hours and when she was finished, she headed up to the wheelhouse to see John and Andy.

"Is it okay if I go see my brother? I noticed that he's back," she said.

"Go ahead, you're done for the day anyways," Andy replied. "And by the way, good job out there."

She smiled as she turned around, satisfied that Andy was proud of her. If the captain was proud, it didn't matter what anyone else said.

She headed over to the Cornelia Marie, smiling when she saw her older brother standing on the deck. Picking up her pace, she ran onto the deck and tackled him from behind. He almost fell, but kept his balance. Turning around, he smiled when he saw his baby sister.

"Hey big brother!" she exclaimed, giving him a hug.

"Hey, what about me?" a voice whined from behind her.

When she turned around, she almost started crying. Standing there was her younger brother, Jake, whom she hadn't seen in a long time. He had some serious issues to take care of.

"Jake!" she squealed, wrapping her arms around him. "What're you doing here?"

"I figured I'd come visit you two idiots. What else would I be doing in Alaska when it's freezing balls?"

She laughed at him. Typical Jake.

"So how are things going? How're you liking the life of a crab fisher?" he asked her.

"I'm loving it! I took the first trip out on dad's boat and then Josh kicked me off and shipped me off to the Time Bandit crew. We just got back from the second trip," she explained.

"Josh, you kicked her off of dad's boat?"

"I told you, Jay, I didn't kick you off! We just needed one of the greenhorns to be moved and it was only fair that you were since you were the last one to sign up for the trip," Josh defended his motives.

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever. You're just making excuses. But I still love you!"

"Don't you guys get tired of that lovey dovey shit?" another voice asked.

Everybody turned their bodies to face where the voice was coming from. What they found was Scott Hillstrand walking down the deck towards them. When he came to their little group, he did that guy handshake that no woman understands with both Josh and Jake.

"Are you taking care of my little sis?" Josh wondered.

"Oh yeah, I'm taking good care of her," he smirked.

Jacyn acted like he didn't say anything and simply turned to Jake and started a conversation with him. Scott's face turned from a smirk to a frown in about point two seconds. She was acting like nothing had happened last night even though they both knew very well that something had happened.

Why is it bothering you so much, huh? She's just a childhood friend, his head was telling him.

But she's not just a childhood friend... his heart said back.