Chapter Five

Picture of Jacyn after a long shift, covered in dirt and sweat

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

"Jacyn what're you doing? You need to be faster than that!" Andy's voice yelled over the intercom.

They were out in the middle of the Bering Sea in the middle of a storm. Everybody was getting soaked by waves that were coming up and over the deck. Jacyn was doing her best to run back and forth on the deck without falling and apparently she wasn't loading the pots with bait fast enough. Excuse her for trying to not hurt herself.

"I'm trying Andy!" she called back, crawling into the pot and hooking up the bait. Then she got out of the pot and allowed the guys to continue on with launching it.

She went back to the bait maker, right next to where Scotty was controlling the crane.

"Don't let him get to you," Scotty yelled over the noise. "He's only acting this way because it's your first day on the boat. He does it to everyone."

"I'm doing the best I can. It's just so slippery. I don't want to fall," she replied.

"We don't want that either. Just keep doing what you're doing."

She nodded and continued on with the work. After they had set all the pots, Jacyn was relieved. Finally she could get a bit of a break as they let them sit.

"Guys, we need to get the ice off of this boat before something bad happens like last year. We don't need any other crew members getting injured," Andy said from up in the wheelhouse.

Jacyn sighed. Well, so much for rest. Because by time they got rid of most of this ice, it'd be time to bring the pots and crab back up from the bottom of the sea.

Not saying a word, not complaining, she grabbed a sledgehammer and got to work on breaking up the ice and throwing it overboard.

"Hey, why don't you go take a break and let us handle the ice?" Scott suggested.

"Hell no! I can do this! I'm a crab fisherwoman now. I don't get special privileges just because I'm a woman. I can do this Scott," she told him, determined.

He put his hands up in defense. "Sorry, I was just trying to be nice."

"Well stop trying to be nice. I'm tired of all of this pity. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean that you need to treat me like I'm weak and fragile."

"I'm not treating you like you're weak and fragile!"

"Whatever. Just leave me alone."

Frustrated, she began to hit the ice harder with the sledgehammer. She was sweating and shivering at the same time now.

"Hey, hey," a soft voice came from behind her.

She didn't look and just continued breaking apart the ice.

"Jacyn," the voice called her name.

"WHAT?" she hissed, whirling around.

Axel was standing there with wide eyes. "Don't work so hard with the ice. You're using too much of your energy. You need that energy to retrieve the pots," he said.

"Whatever. I'll be fine. I'll have plenty of energy."

"You say that now," he chuckled. "Why don't you give me the sledgehammer and go take a break?"

"What is with everyone fucking trying to push me off deck? I can do the work! I did it on my boat!" she screamed.

"We know you can do the work, but an angry person and a sledgehammer never make a good combination. Give me the sledgehammer and go cool off."