Chapter 8 - What If?

(Still Nathan’s P.O.V until further notice!)

‘Damn Nathan, sort yourself out. Dump Emma tonight for Rachael. She’s not ready yet, but you can comfort her if you dump Emma first. Rachael needs you, Emma doesn’t. Emma deserves someone better than you, someone who loves her, and doesn’t cheat on them while they’re in the next room working.  Damn Nathan, you idiot. Why did you have to kiss her? Why couldn’t you have waited until Emma was out of the picture and Rachael was ready to kiss her? That way she wouldn’t have run off, bumped into her ex’s best friend, and ended up in hospital’ I thought to myself.

The rain was falling heavily around me, heavy enough to hide my tears. What if Rachael doesn’t want to be with me in the future? What if she doesn’t ever feel ready? I can’t live without her. I’ve only known her properly for about two weeks, yet I’ve already fallen in love. Fuck!  What will Jay say if he finds out I love his sister? He’ll hate me unless I make her really happy. He’ll make my life a living hell if I break her heart.

Okay, first things first. I need to break up with Emma and I need to do it as soon as possible. I’ll break her heart, but it won’t hurt as much as what would happen if we continued going out and two months’ time, I start seeing Rachael. Okay, so I’ll just tell her that things are not working out and that we should just be friends. That should work. I should also tell her that with my hectic schedule, we won’t get time to see each other, which is vital for a healthy relationship to continue. ‘Breath Nath’ I said to myself, ‘breath.’

‘Nathan, are you okay?’ Rachael asked me. ‘Yeah, fine thanks,’ I smiled trying to hide the tears. ‘What are you doing out in the rain, without a jacket?’ I asked. ‘Here have mine’ I removed my jacket and put in on her shoulders. ‘Thanks Nath. Jay was talking about the funeral and it all got a little too much for me. I had to escape. It’s all my fault they crashed. It’s all my fault our parents are dead’ she sobbed into my chest as we sat down on a nearby bench. ‘No it’s not your fault Rach. Who told you that?’ I asked wiping her tears with me thumb. ‘Jay. It was my idea to travel here when we did. My parents didn’t want to come until last week, but I couldn’t wait any longer to see Jay. Jay’s right though. It is all my fault. I was too self- fish and should have seen that they were right. I should have listened’ she continued. ‘It’s not your fault. Listen, it’s not. You need to tell yourself that. You’re not self-fish. You hadn’t seen Jay in ages, you just missed him. Don’t worry, Jay will come around. He’s just upset. It’s trying to be strong for both of you. I’ll talk to him if you like?’ I asked pulling her closer.

‘No, it’s okay. It’s not your problem. I’ll talk to him. Thanks Nath. We should probably be heading back. It’s getting cold and it doesn’t look like the rain is going to stop’ she recommended. ‘Good idea’ I smiled and put my arm around her before walking in the direction of the flat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not my best chapter, but I have a lot to come yet, so this is far from over! 

Comment :)

Vote :)

Fan :)

Rachael :) xx