Skin

It had been four days since the... Mary incident. I'd had nightmares about her for each of those nights and I refused to look at mirrors. Dean had finally decided that I no longer needed the sling, but I wasn't allowed to strain my arm, which was annoying when I tried to bring my bag into a motel. We pulled up to a gas station, "All right, I figure we hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight..." Sam was busy messing with his phone, "Sam wears women's underwear," Dean went on in the same tone. "I'm listening, I'm just busy," Sam told him as he messed with his phone some more. Dean looked confused, "Busy doing what?" Sam continued to use the stylus that went to his phone as I sat up. "Reading emails," Sam answered shortly as Dean got out of the car. I wrapped my blanket tightly around my shoulders and looked out the window, the gas station looked old; not as old as some we'd stopped at, but still old. "Emails from who?" Dean asked, looking even more confused. "From my friends at Stanford," Sam still hadn't looked up from his phone. "You're kidding," I couldn't see Dean, but I could tell he was trying not to laugh. "You're kidding, you still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Sam glanced out the window at Dean as he grabbed the gas nozzle and moved to the back of the car, "Why not?" Now Sam was confused. "Well... What exactly do you tell them; you know, about where you been, what you been doing?" I grabbed Sylvester from the floor and clung to him. "I tell them I'm on a road trip with my big brother. I tell them I needed some time off after Jess," Sam answered simply. "So you lie to them?" I asked from the backseat. Sam got offended, "No. I just don't tell them everything," Sam told me as he looked at me from the crack between his headrest and the wall of the car. "Yeah, that's called lying, Sam," Dean assured him as he waited for the gas to pump. "I mean, yeah, telling them the truth is far worse," Dean adds after a moment. Sam stuck his head out the window to argue, "So what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asked, then he saw the look on Dean's face, "You're serious?" he asked incredulously. "Look it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people," Dean told him. "You're kinda anti-social, you know that?" Sam sassed as he got back onto scrolling through his phone. Dean poked his head through my window, "You hungry short stuff?" he asked, I nodded hesitantly. Dean pulled his wallet out of his back pocket, "Here, go get me something too," Dean told me as he handed me his wallet. I gave an exaggerated sigh and climbed out of the car and made my way inside the gas station. The inside looked nicer than the outside and there was a teenager behind the front desk. She didn't acknowledge me as I made my way around the store, grabbing snack foods and a few waters. She was organizing the candy in front of the front desk as I headed toward the checkout, I grabbed two Hershey's bars and put them on the counter with the rest of the things I'd grabbed, "That all it'll be for ya'?" the lady asked, I shyly nodded as she finished scanning everything. "That'll be $10.42," she told me as she bagged everything. I pulled a ten and a one from Dean's wallet and handed it to her, "Keep the change," I added, knowing Dean's hatred for change. She handed the bags down to me, "Have a nice day," she told me as I piped in a small, "You too," before heading out of the store. Dean was leaned over the car with his head in Sam's window, "Saint Louis is four hundred miles behind us Sam," I heard as I got closer. When I saw Sam giving the puppy eyes I knew that's where we were going.

"Short stack, why did you only grab water?" Dean asked confusedly as he drove down the road, digging through the bag I'd bought at the same time. "Because it doesn't go flat and you complain when your soda goes flat after only taking a sip of it," I told him as I bit into a Dorito. Sam was smirking, "Ha," Sam told him as he reached for the other Hershey's bar. "That's Dean's you giraffe." It was Dean's turn to laugh as he snatched the candy bar from Sam's hand.

It took us four and a half hours to get there and another twenty to find the girl's house. Dean carried me to the door as Sam was already halfway there. Dean got to the door just as the girl opened it, she was a blonde. "Oh my God, Sam," the girl sounded shocked that he was there. "Well if it isn't Little Becky," Sam teased, she moved in for a hug, "You know what you can do with that 'Little Becky' crap," she sassed back. "I got your email," Sam started as he pulled back from the hug. "I didn't think that you would come here," Dean decided to step in, "Dean, older brother," he greeted as he offered a hand, still holding me. "And who's this?" she asked, referring to me. "This is Chris," Dean answered as he put me on the ground, "Your little sister?" Becky asked Sam, who nodded. "Anyways, we're here to help, whatever we can do," Sam told her as I hid behind Dean's leg. Becky opened the door farther, "Come in," I held onto Dean's jacket as we walked inside. It looked really nice inside, like fancy nice; she even had stairs. "Nice place," Dean told her, voicing my thoughts. "It's my parent's place, I was crashing here when everything happened," she told him as we walked into the kitchen. "I decided to take the semester off, I'm gonna stay until Zach's free," she added as she turned to look at us. "Where are your folks?" Sam asked as he looked around. "They live in Paris for half the year, so they're on their way home now for the trial," she told us, they must be stupid rich then. "Do you guys want a beer or something?" she offered. Dean grinned and pointed at her, "No thanks," Sam told her, ruining Dean's mood. "So... tell us what happened," Sam told her as he leaned against the counter. You could feel the mood change. "Well, um, Zach had came home, and he found Emily tied to a chair. And she was beaten up and bleeding and she wasn't breathing, and so he... he called 911 and the police showed up, and... they arrested him. But the thing is, the only way that Zach could have killed Emily is if he was in two places at the same time. The police have a video, it's from the security tape from across the street. And it shows Zach coming home at 10:30. Now Emily was killed just after that, but I swear he was here with me, having a few beers until at least after midnight." Sam kept looking at Dean as she talked, Dean had a hand holding the back of my jacket so I wouldn't wander. "You know, maybe we could see the crime scene, Zach's house," Sam started, but Dean interrupted, "We could?" I already knew how this was going to end. "Why? What could you do?" Becky asked. "Well me? Not much, but Dean's a cop," Sam lied through his teeth. Dean chuckled nervously, "A detective, actually," Dean glaring at Sam. "Really? Where?" Becky was suddenly much more interested in Dean. "Bisbee, Arizona, but I'm off duty now." Dean also lied through his teeth. "I don't know... You guys, it's so nice to offer, but I just... I don't know," Becky sounded unsure. "Beck, look, I know Zach didn't do this. Now, we have to find a way to prove that he's innocent," Sam told her, using his consolation voice. "Okay," well that was easy. "I'm gonna go get the keys," she told us before she left the room. Dean whistled, "Oh, you're a real straight shooter with your friends." Dean turned to face Sam, I was still holding onto his jacket. "Look, Zach and Becky need our help," Sam was quiet when he spoke. "I just don't think this is our kind of problem," Dean told him honestly. "Two places at once? We've looked into less," Dean gave an exaggerated sigh. I knew we were going to end up going...