Bugs

We were outside of a bar, of course we were. Dean wanted to get some extra cash for the road instead of a credit card. Sam was outside watching me, perched on the hood of the car reading a newspaper, while I was inside filling in a workbook Sam got me on math. It was easy, kind of insulting though. Addition and subtraction, Dean had gone over that years ago. It was almost one in the morning when Dean came back out of the bar, showing off a stack of money. "You know, we could get day jobs once in a while," Sam told him, finally looking up from the newspaper. "Hunting's our day job, and the pay is crap," Dean started counting the money he'd gotten. He was teaching me how to play poker the other day, Sam didn't approve. "Yeah, but hustling pool, credit card scams? It's not the most honest thing in the world Dean," Sam was right, but it could be worse. We could be mobsters. Dean put both of his hands in front of him, "Well let's see, honest, fun and easy. It's no contest," Dean acted like his hands were a scale. "Besides, we're good at it. It's what we were raised to do," Dean went back to counting money. "Yeah, well how we were raised was jacked," Sam informed, setting his paper aside. "Yeah, says you, we got a new gig or what?" Dean asked, glancing up from the money. "Maybe, Oasis Plains, Oklahoma, not far from here. Gas company employee, Dustin Burwash, supposedly dies from Creutzfeldt-Jakob." Dean looked up confused, "Human mad cow disease," Sam filled in. "Mad cow, wasn't that on 'Oprah'?" now Sam looked confused, "You watch 'Oprah'?" Dean seemed to realize his mistake. "So this guy eats a bad burger, why is it our kind of thing," Dean switched the subject. "Mad cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for the damage to appear, but this guy, Dustin, sounds like his brain disintegrated in about an hour, maybe less." That sounded both scary and disgusting. "Okay that's weird," Dean decided. "Yeah," Sam nodded his head. I focused back on my math problems, 50 + 50 = ___. I sighed and started writing again. "Alright, Oklahoma," Dean clapped his hands and turned back to the car. "Man, work, work, work, no time to spend my money," Dean complained as he opened his door. "Why are you still up?" Dean asked as he turned on the car, Sam turned around. "You like the book I gave you?" he asked. I threw it at him, "At least give me something hard!" I told him as it hit him in the face. Dean laughed as Sam gave me a b*tchface before picking up the book. "Go to bed short stack, it's past your bedtime," Dean told me as he backed out of his parking spot. I curled up in a ball in the backseat as Sam flipped through the pages.

I woke up to Sam 'whispering', "Dude I gave it to her yesterday and she already filled out all ninety-eight pages, and they're all correct." It was still dark out, shut up Sam. "Dude I told you I taught her that when she was like two. She's not your average four-year-old," I grabbed Sylvester off the floorboard and went back to sleep.

I woke up when Dean started shaking my shoulder, "Come on short stuff, we need you to help us with a cover." I groaned and sat up hesitantly. Dean picked me up and started walking, it was warm wherever we were, probably Oklahoma, "Travis Weaver?" I heard Sam ask a bit hesitantly. "Yeah, that's right," I heard someone confirm. "Are you the Travis that worked with Uncle Dusty?" Dean asked, oh this was about the cow guy. "Dustin never mentioned nephews or nieces..." he sounded hesitant. "Really? Well, he sure mentioned you, he said you were the greatest." Dean informed. Sam gave a small 'yeah' of confirmation. The guy sounded a bit pleased, "Oh, he did? Huh," the guy went quiet. "Look, we wanted to ask you, what exactly happened out there?" Dean asked. "I'm not sure, he fell in the sinkhole. I went to the truck to get some rope and, uh, by the time I got back..." he trailed off. "What'd you see?" Dean prodded. "Nothing, just Dustin," I could tell he was probably staring at the ground. "No wounds or anything?" It seemed like it was Sam's turn to prod. "Well, he was bleeding from his eyes and ears, his nose, that's it." That sounded a bit gruesome. "So, do you think it could be this whole 'mad cow' thing?" Dean asked. "I don't know. That's what the doctors are saying," the guy sounded unsure. "But if it was, he would have acted strange beforehand, like dementia, loss of motor control. You ever notice anything like that?" Sam asked, I don't think grieving family members talked about the loss of motor control, they didn't even sound sad. "Nah, no way. Yeah, but then again, if it wasn't some disease, what the hell was it?" he asked. "That's a good question," Dean agreed. "You know, can you tell us where this happened?" Sam asked. "Yeah," he told us, we started walking after that. I picked my head off of Dean's shoulder to see us walking towards a business truck, "Are we gonna go see Uncle Dusty?" I asked tiredly. Travis looked sad as he pulled out a map, "Not yet short stuff, not yet," Dean told me in a sad tone. It only made Travis looked more depressed as he showed us a map of the area, "It was here," he pointed to a section of the map. "It's a few blocks that way," he instructed. "Thanks, we're going to go have a look," Sam informed with a nod of his head. Travis gave a small smile before he put the map up and got back to work. Dean carried me back to the car and we headed off to 'Uncle Dusty's' deathplace.