Shadow

Sam and Dean left me at the motel room and Dean didn't come back until way after dark. He'd set down a bag of food in front of me, "Bon apetite," Dean had said before grabbing Sam's laptop to research on. I had been trying to wait until Dean went to bed, but I gave up and picked up my bag. He picked up his phone after a few hours and put it to his ear, "Let me guess. You're lurkin' outside that poor girl's apartment, aren't you?" Dean asked, Blue and I gave him a confused look, which he ignored. "You've got a funny way of showin' your affection...Sorry, man, she checks out. There is a Meg Masters in the Andover phonebook. I even pulled up her high school photo. Now, look, why don't you go knock on her door and, uh, invite her to a poetry reading, or whatever it is you do, huh?" Dean informed while typing on the computer. "Yeah, that I did have some luck with. It's, uh-turns out it's Zoroastrian. Very, very old school, like two thousand years before Christ. It's a sigil for a Daeva." Dean read from the paper in front of him. "It translates to "demon of darkness". Zoroastrian demons, and they're savage, animalistic, you know, nasty attitudes-kind of like, uh, demonic pit bulls... Give me some credit, man. You don't have a corner on paper chasin' around here," Dean sounded offended. "No, I called Dad's friend, Caleb. He told me, all right?" Dean gave in a few seconds later, I went into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. Dean's conversation went mute as I did so, Blue could have fun eavesdropping on Dean. After I'd changed, I came back out to see Dean pinching the bridge of his nose. I padded over to him and hugged his neck, "Night D," I told him before I yawned. Dean yawned after I did and stood up, "Night kiddo," before he started digging in his duffle. I crawled under the blankets and it didn't take long for me to fall asleep.

Dean woke me up the next morning, "Hey, I need to go down to the police station and get some info, I got you some waffles on the counter if you're hungry," Dean said. I sat up, causing him to laugh, "You really need to start going to sleep with your hair in a braid or something Chris, it's a rats nest," he commented as he stood up and pulled his jacket back on. I rolled my eyes and laid back down as he walked out the door. I was going to go back to bed, but Blue decided that it was time to get up. "Christina! There are waffles and Dean left the laptop unlocked and there's TV and cards! Let's play somethinggg," he complained, jumping on the bed. I groaned again, but got up nonetheless.

Dean came back about an hour later looking troubled. He went to the table and looked back over his papers, eyebrows furrowed. He stayed there for a few minutes before he went to the bathroom. That was when Sam ran into the room and looked around until his eyes landed on me, "Where's Dean?" he asked. I pointed to the bathroom. Dean came out as soon as Sam walked up to the door, "Dude, I gotta talk to you," the two said in sync. I refrained from rolling my eyes in favor of continuing to watch TV. The two were talking quietly by the bathroom so I wouldn't hear anything, but Dean eventually went to a normal tone, "So, hot little Meg is summoning the Daeva?" he scoffed. "Looks like she was using that black altar to control the thing," Sam confirmed with a nod of his head. "So, Sammy's got a thing for the bad girl," Dean laughed before continuing, "And what's the deal with that bowl again?" Sam rolled his eyes, "She was talking into it. The way witches used to scry into crystal balls or animal entrails. She was communicating with someone," he concluded. If I was a witch, I'd use a crystal ball. Animal entrails sounded messy. "With who? With the Daeva?" Dean was confused. "No, you said those things were savages. No, this was someone different. Someone who's giving her orders. Someone who's comin' to that warehouse," Sam said quickly. There was a moment of silence and the flipping of papers before Dean muttered, "Holy crap." I heard Sam move to stand beside him, "What?" I heard more flipping of papers, "What I was gonna tell you earlier-I pulled a favor with my-" Dean took a moment to clear his throat, "friend, Amy, over at the police department. The complete records of the two victims-we missed something the first time." Dean informed. "What?" I heard Sam take the paper from Dean, "The first victim, the old man-he spent his whole life in Chicago, but he wasn't born here. Look where he was born." There was silence before Sam muttered, "Lawrence, Kansas." Dean hummed in confirmation and picked up another file, "Meredith, second victim-turns out she was adopted. And guess where she's from. I heard a chair scrape on the floor, "Holy crap," Sam muttered. "Yeah," Dean agreed. "I mean, it is where the demon killed Mom. That's where everything started. So, you think Meg's tied up with the demon?" Sam asked, he sounded as incredulous as I felt. "I think it's a definite possibility," Dean told him. So he didn't know either. "But I don't understand. What's the significance of Lawrence? And how do these Daeva things fit in?" Sam questioned. "Beats me. But I say we trash that black altar, grab Meg, and have ourselves a friendly little interrogation." Dean suggested, I could feel someone looking at me. "No, we can't. We shouldn't tip her off. We've gotta stake out that warehouse. We've gotta see who, or what, is showin' up to meet her," Sam suggested. "I'll tell you one thing. I don't think we should do this alone," Dean told him. I guess we were going to be calling Dad then...