Chapter Eight: In Trouble

I stayed up for twelve hours in that cell. Officers occasionally came to feed me but all I had was water and an applesauce cup. I didn't want to eat because knowing that Donovan was essentially mocking me was frustrating. He was putting me in my place so that he could control me and make me more submissive than Lush had conditioned me to be.

I knew it was easy for him and it was easy for me to obey most of the time. I'd grown up taking orders and the clients at Lush praised obedient behavior. The best girls were the ones who took the most shit and didn't make a big deal out of it-in front of the clients.

My eyes grew heavy again but I heard footsteps down the hall which conjured up mixed feeling of fear and optimism. 

To my surprise, Nate appeared and used a thick key to unlock the gate that enclosed my cell.

"C'mon." He placed the key in his pocket and waved for me to get up. I slowly stood and slid out of the horrible cell.

Nate took long strides and I hurried to catch up. Officers nodded at him as we went through the exit and headed outside to a cool night breeze. They controlled some of the most powerfully corrupt forces and that scared me more than being held against my will because no one could save me if they took orders from the very person holding me hostage.

It was probably eleven o'clock by now and I was easily regretting my hunger strike now that I was out of the cell. If I ended up seeing him tonight, Donovan would surely scold me for not eating.

"Hurry up Rosemary." Nate had the door to a black Audi open, waiting for me to get in. I hurried over, nearly tripping on my own feet. Nate got behind the wheel once I was in and turned to me.

"I'm only going to tell you this once. Don't try a damn thing with me. Don't try and jump out, or scream, or whatever shit you might be thinking. Stay quiet or I'll shove you in the trunk." He didn't wait for my confirmation as he pulled off and started down the road.

Nate drove fast, as if he were racing with an imaginary NASCAR driver. But there was no point in saying anything. Actually, I couldn't say anything or I would be squeezed into the trunk of this luxury car.

A vibration sound buzzed near the dashboard. Nate grabbed his phone and answered.
"Good evening Boss...Yes...She is...Are you sure?...yeah...okay ten minutes." He removed his phone from his ear and took a sharp turn.

When we pulled into a vacant lot I noticed Donovan leaned against a black Mercedes Benz. My breath caught in my throat and I sat forward in my seat. I hated Nate but at least I could feel him out which was why I didn't mind staying in this car. But Donovan, was completely unpredictable.

"Get out." I hurried out of the car, wincing a bit at the pain coasting through my body from last night's escapades.

"Farrenger is in the lobby and Lance should be on his way there." Donovan handed Nate a thin folder. "Tell them we're sorry for their-loss." 

Nate let out a scoff then asked, "Is he alone?" 

"Farrenger should be there with Ashton."

"What if Ashton asks for you?" Nate cocked an eyebrow.

Donovan looked down at me and said, "Tell him I'm busy."

"I'll give you a call when the agreement is done" Nate stepped away to return to his car.

I looked at Donovan wondering what he meant by "busy" but he was already on the passengers side, holding the door open. My only option was to go inside the car despite my fear. So I did, and felt a tear roll down my cheek.

These were criminals and I was their captive. Furthermore, the "Boss" despised me and would do everything in his power to make me miserable. He could just let me go and trust that I would never mention Steven Greene again. But that would be too easy, too simple, and too much of a deal for me. Like I'd always told myself, I never got lucky.