Chapter Nineteen: Change of Heart

I'm spoiling you all with weekly updates because once my semester starts I won't be able to update as frequently!
On another note, enjoy this chapter!

That evening Hannah, Nate, and Lance had to return to the lake house due to the information they'd received about Ashton's men at the restaurant.

So we all ate dinner at the table and discussed the business surrounding Ashton. Well, they discussed, I sat quietly taking tiny scoops of mashed potatoes onto my fork.

"We'll have to stay here for a while." Nate said after they'd been notified of the proximity of Ashton's men to us.

"You and Lance will. Hannah you'll head back to the city with Rosemary." Donovan said.

Now I looked up from my plate because he was going to relocate me again. The city didn't mean "back home" it meant to some obscure place that I would be watched like a hawk at.

Hannah cleared her throat before muttering, "I'm not sure how that would help."

Donovan's expression was unchanging but he looked right at Hannah, sitting further back in his chair.

"Is there something you really want to say?" He tested. 

Hannah looked around the table at all the eyes that were focused on her. Even I was taken by surprise because I didn't have the gall to speak up to Donovan.

Hannah stood up with her plate, pushing her seat so far back that it almost tipped over.

"No Donovan." She took Nate's plate as well then went into the kitchen. 

I quickly grabbed my plate, Lance's, and Donovan's then hurried to follow behind her.

"I wasn't even done." I heard Lance say as I disappeared into the kitchen. I was supposed to do all the cleanup but Hannah clearly needed to get away from the men at the table. So I placed the plates in the sink and let her scrub away under the hot water.

"He thinks he's protecting us by sending us to the city." She said in a low tone since we were close to the dining room. "But we wouldn't be safe. We'd be under permanent lockdown while they drown those guys in the lake." She shook her head.

I leaned on the counter beside the sink, continuing to listen.

"I love working for him but sometimes-" she turned to look at me, "sometimes he only cares about his own decisions and not how they impact others." She sighed.

Again, all I could do was listen to her. I liked to think that I was a good listener at the very least.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be venting to you." 

I shrugged, not wanting to discourage her from continuing it from the possibility of it happening again. Hannah knew Donovan better than I ever would and it was clear that this situation was unique for everyone.

"How was the doctor's visit?" She asked to change the subject.

"Um-it was-okay." I lifted my arm up to show her. She gave me a tight smile.

"I'm glad you're okay. I asked Donovan to go easy on you today. He was really upset last night but he just doesn't understand where Lush girls really come from especially with impulsive decisions."

That answered one of my questions of the day. I was impressed that Hannah really had the power to make Donovan treat me slightly better. Even if it was only for a day. It mattered.

"He was pretty nice today. I wasn't sure why." I heard Hannah chuckle but continued. "I hope it carries to-"

"Rosemary, Donovan wants you upstairs." Nate came in and reported.