Chapter Twenty Nine: Thank You

I think I preferred overcast days as opposed to a sunny day like today. On a sunny day, we were expected to go out and have plans or else it was considered a waste of time. On an overcast day, the expectation didn't exist.

But my life had never really been planned to my satisfaction. So a sunny day to me wasn't exactly hopeful or eventful, it was confusing. Especially today since my mind wasn't in a hopeful state.

Hannah and Donovan were still upstairs but Nate and I continued to the entrance of the apartment building with my only suitcase in hand.

In the beginning, I'd had no possessions with me but after Hannah had gone on a shopping spree for me I was able to leave with something tangeable to keep. Everything else I would have to leave behind.

Although I didn't exactly know what was happening, I knew last night would be the last time that I would sleep in Donovan's apartment. But where would I go now?

"Is Donovan sending me back to Lush?" I finally asked.

"Lush is shut down as of tomorrow because of the trouble Charlotte caused." Nate said, shoving his hands into his pockets.

So what was I supposed to do? Where would I live? Where would I work? Charlotte had been "handled" so there was no way that her apartment was open for me anymore. She probably didn't even want to see me, if she happened to still be alive!

I felt my chest begin to tighten and I tried my best to control my breathing. It became harder to control as I noticed Donovan walk out of the building entrance and nod to the doorman.

He approached us in his more comfortable attire of a leather jacket and t-shirt as if today was just another mundane day for him. It probably was. But for me, it was anything but mundane.

He began to speak but stopped when he noticed my uneasy demeanor. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just waiting on the cars to-"

"I wasn't asking you." Donovan said to Nate. He turned back to me and studied my expression. "Nate, can you go and see if Hannah needs help."

Nate quickly caught the hint and turned on his heels to go back inside the building.

"Did something happen while I was-"

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do." I interrupted, feeling a minor anxiety episode happening. "Will Roth pay me?"

"This is about Lush." Donovan said and I nodded eventhough he hadn't asked a question.

A moment later, a black Mercedes Benz pulled up and Lance stepped out of the passengers seat.

"Hey Boss, we're ready to head out." Now I really felt the pressure. "Head out" where? They were all going to leave me. As my breaths quickened Donovan held up a finger and then took me aside to make our conversation more private.

"Where do you expect me to go?" I felt my voice raise because there was a possibility that I'd be thrown away again.

"Calm down." Donovan touched my arms gently. "Deep breaths." I complied as he rubbed my arms and waited for my breathing pace to return to normal. His touch was oddly soothing and even his calm expression helped center me. "There's nothing for you back at Charlotte's apartment or any other clubs that Roth owns."

I turned as I noticed Hannah and Nate exit the building together but Donovan didn't let my eyes wander too long as he stepped back into my line of sight.

"Rosemary."

"Yes?" I felt defeated. Again. As if I'd been trapped with Ashton. What was the point in all of this? He was just going to tell me to stay strong and be on my merry way.