Chapter Twenty Five: Cause of Death

Vote/Comment!

Donovans apartment was the size of a luxury hotel but had some of the personality and charm of a Brooklyn studio. Hannah had informed me that the Upper East Side penthouse was the permanent residence of the Boss. It was also the permanent residence of Stone, who had an embroidered doggy bed that he laid on by the fireplace in the living room.

"This is the library. Believe it or not Donovan handpicked all the books in here with some help from his father." I looked at the built in shelves that covered all four walls. It was hard to believe that Donovan took time out of his schedule to pick out books when he hardly had time to eat breakfast in the morning.

"It's beautiful." I probably said for the tenth time that day.

"Isn't it. Aside from the business, it's the only thing his father passed on to him so he appreciates it a lot." She placed her hands on her hips. "Donovan has a sensitive-" her ringtone sounded before she could finish her statement. "Hello...no I can't do that without his permission...he's not even here..." Hannah held up her finger to me and then walked out of the library.

I didn't wait for her to return. I was getting anxious to see and talk to Donovan. There was also an unsettling feeling in my stomach that the large apartment made me vulnerable. Ashton could be anywhere. So I found my way back to Donovan's room and shut the door so that I could be in a smaller, more secure place.

I went into his walk-in closet which had rows of tailored suits, racks of designer ties, Italian leather shoes, and multiple watches behind a frosted glass case.

I grabbed a throw blanket from the room, returned to the closet, and shut my eyes, sinking into the plush rug that covered the space.
• • • • • •
My eyes only shot open when I heard the loud shutting of a door and through the open closet doorway I watched as Donovan sauntered into the room. He stopped just before the bed while stripping off his green shirt, then turned to see me cuddled in his closet.

"Comfortable?" He asked. I was a bit embarrassed by how I probably looked.

"I was scared." I admitted. He walked over to me with a low sigh.

"He's never going to be near you again." Donovan said but I wondered how he could be sure of that? "Did the check up with Thornton go well?"

"He said I'm okay but he wants to see me again if the bruises don't fully heal in a couple days."

"Bruises?" I nodded, showing Donovan my legs and pulling my shirt collar to the side so he could see my torso. The car accident and cuffs had taken a toll on my body even days later. There were several scratches on me as well but the doctor had been hopeful that those would heal in due time.

Donovan crouched down beside me to get a closer look. Then his eyes met mine with a tenderness that I was unfamiliar with.

"I'm sorry." He said in a tone barely above a whisper. I held his gaze like a lost puppy because I didn't know why he was apologizing. Donovan Faust didn't apologize. That was a proven fact. And no one expected him to apologize, especially not to me.

"You didn't do it." I shrugged.

Donovan stood up and held out a hand to help me to my feet.

"Sleep in my bed tonight. I'll be in the room next door if you need me."

"I'm not tired anymore. I wouldn't be able to make myself fall back asleep anyway." Plus, Donovan was here which meant I could finally get some answers. I hadn't thought about the events of last night that much because I was scared of the memories. But I had so much to ask Donovan.