Three

*

So Alisha with Michelle off to their lectures and with there being NO WAY of me stepping into Narnia I was left with Idris. Honestly I felt like the cold was bullying me. I felt like my nostrils would freeze and fall off  if I went out there again. I had been chilling with Idris for a few hours and decided I liked him. He was originally from South London and was studying Law. We got along like a house of fire and we both discovered we had a lot in common with regards to our values, music taste and food we liked to eat. I'd discovered he was outspoken which some would have mistaken for him being rude but I liked that about him. That he didn't have a filter. He reminded me of Tabs and Thando.

"I still can't believe you're their older sister. To be honest you look 17. That's why I stared at you so long. I thought you were his girl. I was thinking to myself she's a bit young for him innit. But  I see the resemblance in the nose and that."

"Yeah they don't wanna claim me." I joked. "No but you seriously look like Idris. Can I call you that?"

"No."

"What about ID?"

"Hell to the N-O."

I rolled my eyes and looked at my phone. A LOT of missed calls and messages. I put my phone back in my pocket.

"So you wanna come uni then?"

I nodded then shook my head which made him laugh.

"Well not really sure. Just preeing you know. Checking out the environment. For a long time I just didn't feel like this was the route for me but after quitting my job my parents aren't having it. I'm actually being pressured to do something. Which is fair. I worked and travelled a lot when I was 20. I literally saw the world so I got that out of my system."

"That's nuts. But uni is cool. Get your degree and ghost."

"It's not that easy is it?" I asked.

He looked deep in thought.

"You have to be your own cheerleader you know. Motivate yourself. Sometimes it can get hard. Maybe that's why we all drink so much. We're stressed. But yeah, work hard, attend workshops, lectures, seminars and it should work out in your favour."

"Should". I emphasised.

"I know it's not that straightforward but I'm really to get turnt up so I don't really wanna go into the miserable discussion of Black minority ethnics in higher education. I know there is so such thing as a meritocracy with regards to studying. Its messed up when you have black children from working class backgrounds in middle class institutions. Working alongside middle class white children who have all this cultural capital. We feel uncomfortable sometimes, it affects our work sometimes but like I said I don't wanna go there right now."

"Hit the nail on the head with that one." I agreed with him sighing. He was absolutely right. "I won't start either. I'm with you on that one." I continued.

"So back to uni? You on it or?"

I nodded also now deep in thought. This was really a life changing decision for me.

"All jokes aside, obviously the eye candy is really something here you know. Talk about black excellence and I've only seen you!" He started laughing.

"You're actually mad."

"But it would be a factor I'm not gonna lie. I'm not dumb I enjoy learning but when I'm stressed I want something nice to look at."

"You're actually so mad Avela. Where have you been hiding? My nigga." He said as we bumped fists.