Thirteen

JUICE

I was in the shop looking to get pads/tampons for Leona because she'd asked me to on my way back home. I rolled my eyes as I went to the right aisle. They usually had those things stocked up to the brim so I didn't understand why she needed some. Knowing Leona and how lazy she was, she was waiting for my mum or Phye to do that for her seeing as Lourdes was now living with her husband after their wedding. I got about five of everything and went to the till. I was scrolling through my phone replying to my Whatsapp group chat messages and trying to arrange a link up with some old friends. Nothing special really. Once done, I walked into the car park and towards car. I heard beeping but ignored it figuring it wasn't me. I unlocked the car and was about to get in when I heard my name. I turned around and smiled. 

"BANDZ!" I tossed the products in the car seat and  walked over to my cousin who was now sat in the drivers seat of a matte black Range Rover sport. 

"My nigga Juice." I spudded him. 

"You're back?" I asked genuinely happy to see him. He'd been ghost for like 5years. Bandz was my dad's sisters son. My dad's side of the family were not as close as my mums and we could go for months (in his case YEARS!) without seeing each other but when we did, it was all love. 

"Yeah man."

"How's wifey?"

He lit up at the mention of his wife. Everyone was aware of Bandz and his wife's relationship. They were equally as crazy and crazy in love with each other. 

"She's still there. She's absolutely not going anywhere. I meant that shit when I said it. Death do us part."

"Us Phillips men are loyal."

We touched fists again.

"Rah you eating the iron in the gym or what? Mans bare hench." I said noticing how big he'd gotten. "With them dreads you look like Tarzan." I laughed. 

"Dickhead. Aye gimme your number. I gotta go. Came out to get wifey some pads you know how they are on their period."

"Fam! Same thing. Out here buying pads and tampons for Leona."

"Her case is different. She's spoilt."

"Fam! My mum will wash her clothes and tell me to wash mine. Favouritism all day."

"Do you still live at your old place?" I asked and he nodded. 

"Been renting it out for the last 5years so when we came back we did a bunch of refurbishment. Looks very nice. Come over. I'm having a games night in two weeks. I was thinking of you and Trouble (my brother Landon) to this one and actually have a big party for everyone."

"That seems cool. I want you to meet someone."

"Oh, bring shawty through."

"Shawty? North America got you moving mad with the lingo."

"You know what I mean dickhead. Bring her along."

I nodded. We spoke for a few more minutes before he pulled off.

"And she's just a friend." I shouted as he drove off. 

He put his middle finger out of the window causing me to laugh. As I sat in my car I called Landon to let him know what he happened. I had him on speaker until I got home.  Leona was in the living room looking miserable. I felt bad for her.

"You need anything?"

"Unless you can make this back pain disappear no I don't Logan but thank you."