/ Melting /

Thursday
8:30 p.m.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me about Kristen! God, just wait till I get ahold of that red headed bitch!" Summer yelled as she sat back on the hood of my Jeep, the sunset in our eyes

Madonna was blasting through the stereo as I swung my legs over the side of the car absentmindedly........

While also listening absentmindedly.

"Look babe, it's no big deal. It wasn't her fault," I said casually as I leaned back, my eyes looking at her to beg for a calm attitude.

Even though I knew she'd be capable of anything but.

"Pshh, and it's not your fault that you like dick!" she practically yelled, anger being painfully vivid in her words.

I just rolled my eyes.

"You know, I happen to have a thing for personalities too ya know. My motto is "it's not all about the dick."

I said this to try to get some kind of laugh out of her, which was something that came so naturally for someone like Summer Thompson.....

But she just gave me a weak smile in return.

And I knew what she was gonna turn this conversation into.

"Awe come on, that was funny!" I said as I shoved her playfully, her worried mantra finally wearing off.

She scooted towards me and leaned into my denim jacket covered shoulder, her curly hair flooding everywhere as I wrapped my arm around her.

What a moody teenager.

"Look, I just.......I don't want you to hurt anymore, V. I can't imagine how hard it must be to hide a part of yourself that deserves to be seen. It just.....it hurts me. To see you like that."

Her big brown eyes looked up at me with empathy, my heart melting at how the girl sitting next to me was too good to be true.

How her empathy.......

Hell, her ability to hurt for the things that hurt me.....

Was something that I didn't deserve.

"And I don't want you to hurt. I'm perfectly happy, you know that right?" I said as I looked down at her softly. "How many times do I have to say I'm fine before you actually believe me?"