{ten}

| this chapter contains self harm |

"Gonna wear that dress you like, skin-tightDo my hair up real, real niceAnd syncopate my skin to your heart beating"

Do my hair up real, real nice
And syncopate my skin to your heart beating"

"Gonna wear that dress you like, skin-tightDo my hair up real, real niceAnd syncopate my skin to your heart beating"

     Mrs. Jacobs voice is muffled in the back of my head. My fingertip traces the aged wooden desk with the vile words. I wish to know their story, to know what happened to them and why. But some things are better left unsaid, I know that much.

I flinch when a poke to my shoulder shocks me. Stephan smirks at my reaction. He's crouched down beside my desk, his left hand on his knee clenched tightly, his right is propped on the desk.

"Yes?" I ask, urging him to explain why he's interrupting my thinking and somewhat learning.

"How's that brother of yours?"

"Daniel?" My eyebrows lift in surprise. "Why don't you ask him yourself?"

His face pales just a tad and he takes in a large breath. Shaking his head, he gives me a hard look. "Are you gonna answer the question, or not?"

"He's fine . . . I think. He hasn't really been talking to me."

"Why? Is he—"

"Is your discussion that important that you feel the need to interrupt my lecture?" Mrs. Jacobs thundered. Stephan and I looked over to her. Only difference between us was that I was scared and he was not. Stephan was rather angry at her.

Stephan stands at his true height, which is intimidatingly tall. "Actually, yes. Yes it is Mrs. Jacobs. And you can shove that lecture up your—"

"We're sorry! We're sorry, Mrs. Jacobs. It won't happen again." I cut in before he gets us both in trouble.

She looks over at me now. Her blue eyes shimmer with agitation. "You're right, Ms. Hayes. It won't. Detention after school for both of you. One. Hour."