{seventeen}

PART II
"THE FREED"

     I picked up the paper ball and dropped it on the wooden desk repeatedly

     I picked up the paper ball and dropped it on the wooden desk repeatedly. Since Mr. Kutcher has disappeared, a new teacher was assigned. This one . . . well, let's just say this teacher was way more stricter. For example, if you entered the classroom the moment the tardy bell rang, you were immediately marked tardy without an excuse and sent to supervision. Because of this, I don't think I've seen one student walk through that door late since she sent the first student to supervision.

Yet, because she was so diligent in her work, she always graded papers on her own. She didn't trust someone to do the work. She, Mrs. Valerio, was the definition of sophisticated. She wore pencil skirts everyday. Her dirty blonde hair was always kept up in the tightest bun that pulled at her scalp and raised her thick brows, like Botox. Red cherry lips could seduce any coworker and let's not forget about her striking green eyes that are graced with the thickest lashes.

Mrs. Valerio was not someone you'd want to be on their bad side with. I've seen students quiver when she raises her voice. Yet, for some reason, she doesn't intimidate me in the slightest. Call it a hunch, but I feel like I could give her any piece of information and she wouldn't abuse it. She treats me with respect as I do the same for her.

     "Lydia," She says while situating herself in the rotating chair. "How was your weekend?"

     I smile. "It was okay."

     "Just okay?"

     "Yeah, I didn't do as much as I'd like."

     "Hm," she pursed her lips and bit the inside of her cheek, debating what to say next.

     "How was your weekend?" I ask in return.

     The corners of her lips draw out into a model worthy smile. "It was lovely. My daughter and I went on a picnic to Lavender Park and spent all night watching movies."

     "How is Lily?" I ask. "Getting into trouble?"

     She laughs. "God no! She's an absolute angel."

     Lily is her seven year old daughter. She takes after her mother in looks, and appears to have her fathers personality. Bright. Bold. Unmistakably mischievous. I've met her once before when Mrs. Valerio brought her to school because her husband was out of town. Little Lily sat in a 'big person' seat, aka the desks we sit at everyday. Lily made a scene when she touched gum under the desk and everyone laughed. Everyone besides Mrs. Valerio. Lily is a sweetheart. And some part of me, envy's the mother-daughter relationship she has.