{nineteen}

"I'm sure we're taller in another dimensionYou say we're small and not worth the mentionYou're tired of movin', your body's achin'We could vacay, there's places to go"

You say we're small and not worth the mention
You're tired of movin', your body's achin'
We could vacay, there's places to go"

"I'm sure we're taller in another dimensionYou say we're small and not worth the mentionYou're tired of movin', your body's achin'We could vacay, there's places to go"

     Tamara placed the last plate in the dishwasher and slung the navy hand towel over her shoulder. I dusted off the soapy dish water from my hands and sighed. Tonight was definitely chaotic. I've learned more about Miguel's family than I'd expected.

     "Come to the living room, honey." Tamara tugs my hand while I grin at the new nickname I've accustomed. Honey.

     This time when we sit, Miguel and I are side by side. Tamara sits in the chair Miguel sat in earlier. "So," she enthusiastically starts. "Tell me about yourself Lydia!"

     I grimace. "Well, there's not much to know about me."

     She scoffs and rolls her earthy eyes. "Oh, come on. I'm not buying it, mija."

     I purse my lips. She's not backing down, is she? Might as well spill some of the contents of my fucked up life. "Okay . . . uh, I love poetry and anything having to do with art. I find it relaxing."

     At this confession, Tamara smiles. "And what about your family?"

     I couldn't help when my face paled, nor my fingers flinch at the word family. My only family is Daniel, and he is God knows where.

     "Oh," she says quietly. "You don't have to—"

     I shake my head and force a grin. "No, it's okay." So I clear my throat, and spit out the autobiography. "My family is . . . alright. I have an older brother, Daniel. My dad and stepmother are always working so I rarely see them."

     "Do you live with your dad and stepmother? Or do you still see your mother?" She asks, oblivious of the waterfall she's created behind my eyes.

     I lower my head and audibly swallow. The words are right at the tip of my tongue. Damn, this is harder than I thought I'd be.

     Miguel places a hand on my back and raises his voice. "I think that's enough—"