{eighteen}

"A new world hangsOutside the windowBeautiful and strangeIt must mean I've fallen awayI must be"

"A new world hangs
Outside the window
Beautiful and strange
It must mean I've fallen away
I must be"

"A new world hangsOutside the windowBeautiful and strangeIt must mean I've fallen awayI must be"

The whole table is tense. Miguel and I are sitting together on one side of the table, while Ray and Miguel's mother, Tamara, sit on the opposite side. My white fabric napkin is placed on top of my thighs. I glance up from my chicken enchilada to look around the table.

     Miguel is as frigid as ever. His knuckles are white from how angry he is. Tamara is quietly eating her food, avoiding eye contact as it could be the plague. Ray on the other hand, is eating with a sinister smile on his face. His eyes focus on mine in a daring stare contest before I become uncomfortable, and look down to the napkin on my thighs.

     "Well," Ray says. "Isn't this lovely? Like the family dinners we use to have . . . only," he puts his finger on his chin and taps it repeatedly. "We're missing the main man, aren't we?"

     "Ray, stop." Tamara pleads. Her hand begins to shake around the fork in her hand.

     "Oh come on, Tami! We all use to be so close, like a family." Ray plasters on a pout and droops his eyes.

     Miguel sighs in frustration. "Not now Ray."

     I notice Ray glance over towards me, then back to Miguel. "Ah, I see. This was suppose to be some date, wasn't it?"

     I force myself to contain my blush. Nows not the time to get flushed.

     "Well shouldn't Miss Lydia know the family she's getting involved with? Hell, we all have secrets."

     I glance up with just my eyes and notice Tamara's tears that prick her green eyes. "Ray. Stop it."

     "Why? Roberto wouldn't have wanted—"

     "That's enough!" Miguel booms. I jump and drop my fork, my whole entire body freezing up at his tone. "I gave you a meal, I let you in my house, and you still abuse my kindness," Miguel stands up in his place, knocking his chair over in the process. Using his index finger, he points to Ray then directly back to the front door. "So get the hell out of my house before I throw you out the front door."