5. The Engagement

One month later, it was the engagement of Lakshya Gadodia with Ragini Maheshwari. The elders had accepted, and the wedding was approved to happen. Amidst the frolic atmosphere, two faces wore a frown only to transform into a smile when someone greeted them momentarily. They watched their siblings and wondered if they have chosen the correct future for them.

Sanskaar stood with his Chacha and Chachi watching his sister nervous and anxious. She had accepted his decision but has she accepted Lakshya? She didn't know about Lakshya as much as he knew. He hated forcing his decisions on his sister as his parents had done in their growing years. He wanted to give his sister the freedom to breathe without seeking his prior approval. Maybe Lakshya would help her learn to enjoy her freedom.

Swara stood next to her Baba watching her brother confused and hesitant. He had accepted her decision but has he accepted Ragini? On the surface, Ragini seemed an open book, but the real challenge was to understand her deep hidden emotions. So, she couldn't be sure he accepted Ragini. She loved to see her brother make his own decisions without her help but he also needed to stay to face the consequences of those decisions. Some days she felt like tying his limbs just so that he could get a ground check. Maybe Ragini would help him learn to stay close to the reality.

Lakshya had friends wherever he went. If there were two people in a room with him, he would have at least one of them as his friend within the first five minutes. But here he was sitting next to the girl who was supposedly going to be his Life Partner for past one hour, and he could not get her to say a single word. When he extended his palm, she slid the ring onto his finger and only then did her touch confirm him that a girl was sitting next to him. He searched for his Di and found her standing next to his father lost in thoughts. Occasionally she looked at Sanskaar Maheshwari and frowned briefly only to blink and go back to her thoughts. He needed to have a word with her. She had promised he would be able to relate to Ragini. This was no way forward.

Ragini stared down at the diamond ring on her left palm. She had no expectations but was anxious about the future. She felt Lakshya shift in his seat nervously for the seventieth time, and that nervousness crept under her skin. He wanted to talk but can she? Are they even allowed to speak? Her Chachiji had asked her to stay calm and quiet as a bride. She raised her head searching for her brother and found him standing with Chachaji; his face focused as if he was thinking about something. Occasionally he would glance at Swara Gadodia and frown briefly only to go back into his thoughts with a blink. She wanted to talk to him. But if he had made this decision for her, it must be good for her and the only way forward.

As the guests were bidding farewell, Swara moved to talk to Sanskaar only to stop by a group of ladies along with Sharmishta and Sujata. A lady asked Sharmistha, "Why didn't you get Swara married before Lakshya? She is elder than him. Or is it because of that incident she doesn't get any more alliances?"

Sanskaar observed Swara's halt and listened to the conversation. Swara has a past, he gathered.

Swara answered facing them, "Isn't there a life without marriage?"

"Shona! How can you talk like that? They are our guests." Sharmistha chided.

"Sorry, Aunty. Yes, you are our guests so please bless Lakshya and Ragini with a pure heart. Appreciate if you don't interfere in our family matters."

Later she approached Sanskaar, "I need to talk to you."

"Me too, but not today. Next Week? I will text you the time and address." He needed time to prepare himself.