6. Mrs Sanskaar Maheshwari

One week later, Swara was in a shopping mall, precisely trying out dresses in the trial room. She had walked out of her house emptyhanded. She picked out some traditional wear in colors she preferred and some regular wear for comfort.  She handed the card to the cashier and punched in the pin she was given. The cashier handed her the packets and while passing the card said, "Thank you for visiting, Mrs. Maheshwari."

~~~~~

She replayed the events of that morning walking down the escalator. She met Sanskaar to the pier at 8 am.

“Sanskaar, I am not sure about your opinion of Lucky but I need to talk to you about Ragini. She is very quiet girl, I gathered that much. However, I feel she is best for Lucky because she will make him understand life better. I know my brother may seem a brat to you and even we family members call him live wire due to his fickle movements and restless energy. He needs to slow down and take a closer look at responsibilities. Lucky and Ragini are polar opposites and this marriage would help them find a neutral ground. I don't expect you to concur with my opinion. If you have any reservations, let me know now so that we can work them out before the wedding.”

Sanskaar had crossed his arms and listened to her. She thought he was deciphering her words until he said: “Are you done?”

Swara was taken aback at the arrogance she then discovered in his stance and words. “What do you mean?”

“Let's try it this way. I will list out my reservations and you tell me how you plan to resolve them.”

“Okay…” Swara wasn't sure what he was hinting at.

“Number 1: Your brother doesn't know how to live his life. Can he take care of my sister for the rest of her life? Number 2: I love my sister too much to send her to a house where she feels alone. Does your brother even have the patience to listen her out? Number 3: Your brother is interested in neither handling the family business nor venturing out. This is probably because he thinks he doesn't have to with your backing. If you call this your love, I call it foolishness.”

Swara crossed her arms too and stood to her full height. “You are basically calling my brother a good-for-nothing since he doesn't have a career or a future plan currently. All these reservations are just numbered examples of your inference. Am I right?”

“Absolutely!” Sanskaar answered without batting an eye.

“Seems like you have some solution cooking in your mind. Mind to share?”

“Why, of course! I want you to marry me today in a court marriage without informing anyone else.”

The words washed over Swara. “What? Marry and you? Did I get that right? Are you crazy? What kind of solution is this?”

“It is a solution. We will marry in the ROM today. Later we will go to your house where you will announce this as your decision and leave Gadodia family and Tunes Music completely.”

“I am still waiting for my answer as to what kind of solution is this?”

“Swara, if an expert swimmer doesn't want to get into the water just because he doesn't feel like, is it any fair to his talent?”

“No. But you..”

“Exactly. Then how do you make him utilise his talent to make a living?”

“Push him into the water without any other support?”

“Now we are talking. That's exactly what I want to do with Lakshya. I want to take away his support, You, and push him into the water, Tunes, to make him realise his potential. I know he is capable enough to swim otherwise IIM wouldn't have felicitated him with Gold.”

The plan made sense to Swara. But the wedding plan was too risky. She stood her ground. “Your plan is brilliant but will not take effect. What made you think I will marry you?”

“Your devotion to your family and respect to your step father.” Sanskaar dared to smirk at the last word. Before Swara could question him further, Sanskaar brought a file from his car and passed it to Swara.

It held the marriage certificate of her mother's first marriage, her divorce stating infidelity as reason and then Swara's birth certificate followed by DNA reports confirming Swara as her mother's symbol of first marriage ending with adoption papers signed by Shekhar Gadodia. She was well aware that Shekhar was not her biological father. This was a family matter that had never surfaced in public or even within their house. If it got out, the infidelity charges and the first short marriage would put her Ma through a lot of humiliation. People don't look for facts; they like gossip. She looked up at Sanskaar in disbelief.

“Now you will agree to the marriage, right Swara?”

“Mr Sanskaar Maheshwari, you are blackmailing me!”

“No, I am just giving you a reason to agree for this marriage.”

“What do you get out of this?”

Sanskaar held Swara by her upper arms. “Miss Swara Gadodia, now you must have understood the extent I can go to for my sister. Moreover, here your brother stands to win the most so you should not really have a problem in this compromise.”

“While he stands to win the most, I lose the most in the same game.” Swara voiced her thought.

“You don't have a choice. Agree for this marriage.” He released her to walk to the car.

Swara, you can't be played like this! “Court marriages take a month notice before the actual marriage. It can't happen today,” spoke the businesswoman in Swara.

Sanskaar coolly laughed and answered, “A month ago we both ran a check on each other. Remember? I decided this then itself. So by today, our application has been made for 30 days and since no objection was raised, we can marry legally.”

“I didn't sign the notice. You need to submit a lot of personal documents. I know the procedure. Don't fool me!”

“Those reports are also very personal. Didn't I get them? The other documents were not very difficult to procure. And you signed the notice yourself.” He put on his sunglasses and walked back to his car. A couple of feet later, he said, “Remember to ask Lakshya to fire Jeena.” He held the passenger side door open for her.

Jeena! She remembered all the documents she signed without reading. She never did that. She couldn't recall where her habit slipped. No point worrying about that. The damage was done.

“You were so sure of yourself?” She asked, trying to find some excuse. She needed time to suggest an alternative. She needed an excuse to get away from this man to think of the alternative.

“You have a single priority in your life and it's transparent for all. I just cashed it. By the way, I haven't heard a rejection yet.”

Swara Gadodia had lost. For all the years of love from her step father, she owed him this: Swara consoled herself.

They got married and went to the Gadodia mansion for the Act 2. Her parents were shocked to see the couple with garlands in their hands. Sanskaar plainly announced clearing all doubts, “We got married.”

When her Ma questioned, Swara parroted “Ma, Baba, I have made this decision. Also, with this I want to walk out of Tunes Music.” She laid her wallet, car keys and phone. Before they could object, she took Sanskaar's hand and walked out of the home she grew up in.

~☆~☆~☆~☆~☆
If you don't like this part, I suggest you read the next one.

I know emotions can run high after reading such scene, but this is the mildest it was possible to keep the story moving.