15. The Aftermath

Sanskaar answered, "Lakshya, I am amazed that you don't know your sister yet. It's not so easy to ruin Swara Gadodia. She is a resolute person. However, today you both have afflicted us with such mistrust that it makes us wonder where all those years of sibling affection evaporated to."

Sharmistha spoke for the first time since the start of the argument. "Sanskaar, Lakshya and Ragini are still not exposed to the profound matters of a relationship. They will learn soon. You just tell me one thing, are you fulfilling this relationship under guilt or willingly?"

"Ma, I agree I committed a huge mistake, even a crime. However, when I realised, I have apologised for it. Swara forgave me. That's it. End of chapter. There's no guilt today. There were too many reasons for this marriage. But for the sustenance of this relationship, our friendship, understanding and trust are enough. On that day I took your daughter away from you - I am very sorry." He joined his hands. "I guess you are worried that our relationship would ride on Lucky and Ragini. It was never intended that way. Rest assured Ma, this relationship is between Swara and Sanskaar, not someone else's sister and brother. We will take your leave now."

With those words, he took Swara's palm and walked out.

~~~~~

Swara was left as a mute spectator in the house she grew up in, amidst her parents, Dida and Lucky. Her Lucky. How did he question her based on Danny's words? Maybe because he didn't know what had conspired in her Baba's office on the day of her wedding. Maybe because he didn't know the trap Danny had weaved to get back at her.

The confrontation questioned her equation with her brother, her parents, her family. As she walked out once again from Gadodia house, she hated herself for purposefully breaking the glass happiness of her family.   

Though Sanskaar did most of the talking, even spoke up for her, she could feel him breaking apart. She was a sibling and a friend to Lucky. But Sanskaar was a sibling and a parent. He felt responsible for even trivial matters in Ragini's life.

She occasionally taunted Sanskaar for that day he blackmailed her. She saw an immediate guilt overlaying his face whenever she raised the topic. Today, when Ragini broached the questions, it was not just guilt; there were disappointment, disgust and hatred towards himself. Ragini saw Sanskaar as a perfect person, but since day 1, she knew the faulted, obsessive, misguided person he had become.

She could not forgive him even after a month of the fated moment. She didn't want to. Forgiving Sanskaar meant forgetting Danny and this time, she didn't want to forget that cad. She will have to give a closure to that part of her life so that it never returns to bite her. For that, she would have to recover. 

~~~~~

The silent ride ensued with untold emotions reeling in their minds. Despite the events of the day, they found solace in each other's presence and for once since the past one month, they felt grateful that it was Sanskaar next to her and it was Swara next to him.

~~~~~

It's been a month since the trial at the Gadodia house. After Swara and Sanskaar left, Dida had spoken to Lucky and Ragini about her discussion with Sanskaar and how she had cleared his misunderstanding.

Lucky had been in a dilemma of whether his anger was justified or had he overblown the issue. He had depended on his Di's scale of right and wrong and it has always been beneficial to him. He should have given it back to Danny instead of questioning and even blaming his Di. He needed to apologise.

As he descended the stairs from his room, he received a call. A problem had risen and partly due to him, as he had got the meeting dates wrong. Now only his Di can help him out. He proceeded to the Maheshwari mansion.

~~~~~

As Sanskaar waited for Swara to get dressed, he looked out of the window to the orange horizon. That fateful day, both of them were broken and didn't have a word exchanged. He had stood in this same position as Swara cried herself to sleep. Somewhere in the middle of the night, he found the energy to change out of his formals. Taking the tie off, he thought back to the morning when Swara had helped him knot the tie. 'No, he would not let the situation backtrack', he decided.

He saw Swara leaning against the headboard and hugging her knees. She had been shattered at how the accusations flew. He covered the comforter over her and placed a pillow to support her back. He suddenly wished they had met under different circumstances.

Sanskaar went to his side of the bed but sleep didn't come easy. How he had wanted to celebrate the successful meeting with his family. He instead sat on the side and browsed through the emails on his phone. He left some messages to trace out Danny. That guy would pay the price for every tear Swara shed. He leaned back and closed his eyes drifting off.

~~~~~

Swara dressed in the dressing room. She thought back to the morning after the confrontation when she found herself leaning against the headboard. Her knees had bent to one side possibly in her sleep. She tried to move the comforter but found Sanskaar sleeping on the comforter. His one hand still held the phone and his legs had stretched out of the bed perimeter. Why he didn't keep to his side, Swara didn't understand.

That morning watching him sleep reminded her how he stood up for her before her family. Swara found a new respect for her husband which was probably the first drizzle of love. Love. That emotion had left her stranded and snatched her happiness. Swara, Sanskaar is different. Her conscience repeated to her the similar words she had iterated to Ragini. 'Sanskaar Maheshwari might be the frosty businessman that the world calls him.' But within the four walls of this room, he is your ally, confidant, life partner.

When she walked out of the dressing room, she found Sanskaar waiting for her.

"You didn't have to wait for me."

"I guess I got into the habit of it."