20. First Show

The wedding was a solemn ceremony in Maheshwari garden which would be followed by a grand reception that evening with the city's most celebrated personalities invited.

As Ragini and Lakshya sat before the Havan, Ragini thought of her life in the Maheshwari house. She was leaving this place and from 24 years of being Ragini Maheshwari, she had spent the best moments with her brother. He had been a silent support in all her endeavours. He fought for her, fought with her, granted every wish, satisfied her tantrums and kept her above everything, even above himself.

She was not wrong in thinking that his love was an obsession. She saw the same glint of possessiveness in his eyes for Swara. She worried for her Bhabhi. Then the words Sanskaar had said replayed: Swara and Ragini are different. True, Swara had the equal steel in her to handle his love.

She would still miss her brother, her family and her house, inspite of restrictions it had imposed on her. Her new home awaited her. Her new family seemed to be excited to welcome her. She had heard of all kinds of stories about each family member from Swara. Her Bhabhi had even assured her that she doesn't have to worry about anything and can be herself.

She was dragged back from her thoughts when the Pandit said it was time for Kanyadaan. Her parents were not around. And she missed them the most at that moment. In fact, she remembered them at that moment. She saw her brother move forward. He would be doing her Kanyadaan. With this, he would fulfill every duty towards her - a brother and a father figure, thought Ragini.

~~~~~

“Check the sound system. I don't want any mistakes. Get the stage guys to be alert and keep enough back up.” Lucky instructed.

“Lucky, everything set?” asked Swara.

“All set, Di. We are doing one last round of checking. I will take care back stage. You go and welcome the guests.”

Swara left. He decided to check on the star of the event - Ragini Maheshwari.

He knocked on the green room door to find it open. The show coordinator was explaining Ragini the programme. He dismissed her saying he would do it himself. Frankly, he wanted to speak to Ragini before she went stage.

“Ragini, fret not! These people say a million things. But up on stage only you matter. So chill!”

“Lucky, I am really scared.” said his wife.

He held her by shoulders and convinced her, “Ragini, you have worked so hard for the past month and this is it! Once the album is launched, it would kick start your career as a singer. Believe me, you are such a rare gem in this industry.”

“What if I am not successful?”

“You know, I used ask this question before every exam in school. Di would say failure is a journey to the destination called success. As long as you are determined, no one can stop you from tasting success.” His phone buzzed. “Okay. I gotta run. Take care and just know that only you matter.” He hugged her and left the room.

Lucky was concerned about his wife. Since the day of marriage, they had established a nice rapport especially working on the recording together. She had raised doubts on her talent so many times that he lost count. She really had to listen to the album herself.

His Di was always the toughest person to deal with while confirming a composition. It took Ragini two trials before Swara confirmed the complete album and that was considered too good for a new artist.

After their wedding, his Di had joined office. He handed over her responsibilities. However, she gave him a commendation and a position to continue his works. She said it also gave her some reprieve. He was just glad that she was back.

~~~~~

The event has been lukewarm success however the album had received such rave reviews that the sales skyrocketed. Tunes was praised for their experimental Durga Puja themes while Ragini was noticed for her exceptional voice. All in all, it had been a winning game and the team looked forward to Ragini's second album which would be a Valentine's day special.

Swara was texting on her phone when Sanskaar came into their room. He moved behind her and circled his arms around her. He took the phone and tossed it on to the couch. He rested his chin on her shoulder feeling her light tresses skimming his cheek.

“You seem to be in romantic mood today?” Swara asked.

“Swara, we have been so busy lately, that I hardly saw you long enough.”

“Sanskaar. I am sorry. With the new album and other things, reconfiguring with Lucky, it's just taking time.”

“Just sorry? That won't do, Swara.” Sanskaar shifted to her bare shoulder.

“What else do you… want?” the last word came out as whisper. Sanskaar traced her ear lobe with his lips and Swara sank into the embrace squirming to the sensitive touch.

“Tomorrow you are going to Mumbai for a week. Is it really necessary? Can't Lucky go?”

Swara understood that this was the first time after their marriage that she would be gone for so many days. She would miss him too. Yet she reasoned. “I am going with Ragini.”

“So? What kind of consolation is that. Let them go together, Swara?”

“Sanskaar Maheshwari is throwing tantrum like kid! Now, that's new!”

“He has to reduce to such ways to convince Swara Gadodia.”

Swara turned in his arms and placed her palms on his shoulders. “Swara Sanskaar Maheshwari.”

“I don't want to hear how we will always be together in spirit or whatever. I don't want you to go. That's all.”

“Sanskaar, you promised…”

Sanskaar hugged her tight. “I know. But what do I do, Swara? Just the thought of being away from you unsettles me.”

Swara pulled out of his hug. “You really don't understand. You think it's easy for me. It's not. And you are just making this more difficult for me.” Swara had tears brimming in her eyes.

One lone tear escaped from the net of her eyelashes and flowed down her face. Sanskaar brushed it off with his thumb. He didn't know what else to say. So he cradled her neck and pressed his lips against hers softly. He felt her relax against him. So he continued caressing her neck with his thumb as he placed soft kisses on her lips.

Swara was bewildered at the kind of passion he poured into his kisses. Each one was meant for, not just a follow up for the previous. When he loved to such extreme perfection, there was no doubt that he would cross any limit to protect his heart and soul and the person living within them.

Sanskaar considered himself privileged that Swara loved him enough to not withhold her feelings before him. He was not blinded to his own shortcomings. However, he found a perfect answer for each one of them in Swara.

He often thought about how a person could live with someone's memories without actually spending a second with them. Today, he reached the conclusion. He had fallen in love with Swara Gadodia at the first sight.