17. Ragini At Tunes

A month later, Sanskaar watched as Swara got ready for office. They had fallen into a comfort zone together. The days he woke up earlier than her, he would stay in bed watching her closely drawn eyebrows and a sweet smile on her face. How a person can frown and smile at the same time, that too in sleep, he didn't understand. For him, that had become the best morning.

She struggled with the strings at the back and was taking out the frustration by talking to herself. “This is exactly why I like high neck dresses. I just can't reach back to tie these.”

“Are you nervous for the meeting today?”

Swara immediately turned to him. “No, I am not nervous.” After a moment realising that Sanskaar wasn't buying it, she confessed. “Okay, a bit. I am going back to office after so long.. and that too for Board of Directors meeting.”

“I think the Directors should be nervous that you called for the meeting at such short notice.”

“Sanskaar! I am not as good as you portray.”

“Right, you are better than that.” Sanskaar stood behind her and looked at her reflection in the mirror.

“Since you are here, can you just help me tie the strings? My arms are hurting already.”

Swara realised what she asked and moved her hands once again to just tie it herself. The past couple of weeks have been a boiling pot of confusion for her. Every time, Sanskaar touched her, she felt the shivers across her body. And he had been doing that quite a lot as they had gotten used to each other's presence.

Sanskaar brushed her hands off and took the strings in his palms. He watched her through the mirror as he tied the knot. The slight brushes of his palm against her naked back sent her senses into overdrive. She could swear she saw a slight change in his eyes just for a second before he schooled his expression.

~~~~~

This had been a bad idea, thought Sanskaar. She had been struggling with the the strings and he wanted to help. But how did he imagine that he could get so close to Swara and not be affected?

He tried some conversation to divert. “Why don't you want Lucky to announce?”

“Huh? Oh.. because the Board could question Lucky's decision as he has just officially joined. They are seeing me for years now.”

No, the conversation did not help. He just couldn't take eyes off her face. He finished tying and said,  “Done.” He walked out without another word afraid that if he stayed one more minute, Swara could read his attraction.

~~~~~

Swara was right. The Board had some questions about launching a new talent this close to the new release. However nothing has been out of her capability and she convinced the Board of the new recruit. It was showtime for Ragini.

Ragini witnessed the respect that Swara commanded. While Ragini sang the lines again and again the whole day, not once did Swara leave the room without her. She had said that it's her practice whenever a new artist is being recorded. Whatever it may be, she was glad to have her Bhabhi in the same room, cheering for her.

That also meant she saw the business side of Swara. She had a solution for every problem that cropped up, substantial and trivial. Ragini had been especially worried when Swara blasted Lucky and the project team for the dates mix up. She reminded her of Sanskaar.

While she thought of her first day, she heard a knock. “Ragini! How was your first recording?”

“Bhai! It was wonderful. I really loved it.”

“As long as you are happy.”

“Bhai, I am sorry! I had become selfish and hurt you previously. You still love me as much as you did before. I am really fortunate to have you as my brother. I will give this career the best I can.”

“Let it be, Ragini. It's all in the past now. I am glad that you are excited about your career. However dear, never ever change yourself.”

“Thanks Bhai. You really deserve Swara.”

Sanskaar smiled. “Why did you say that all of a sudden?”

“Today, I saw how similar you both are. That's why your relationship is so strong and intact, despite the obstacles.”

“You must be tired. Take rest, Ragini. I will see you in the morning.”

~~~~~

Sanskaar walked into his room. He looked for Swara and thought she would be in the washroom. He took his watch off and picked up his phone. A new email. Maheshwari Textiles had just bagged the contract of the year! It was the best news he had heard in months, years even. All the hard work was paying off. He had not let his father down. Sanskaar was proud that his company had achieved what they had set out for. He wanted to celebrate. How, was the question.

He didn't have to wait long, for a moment later, a lightning in pink pajamas struck across the room and hugged his torso.

“Sanskaar! Sanskaar! I can't believe I did it. I have been waiting so long to share this news with you. I did it, Sanskaar. Finally, I did it!”