7. Swara Strikes Back

Sanskaar thought of Ragini's reaction to his today's act. For her, he was an angel who could hurt none. She would change that opinion. May be that's the reason he asked her to go for a month-long holiday with her three other friends. He planned each stretch of their trip and ensured his sister could enjoy without a single worry. Beneath the gentle gesture lied his motive to bring Swara home and settled by the time Ragini returned.

As they entered the Maheshwari mansion, he dared a glance towards Swara who still wore the stone face since he broke the deal to her. His Chachi greeted them in the main hall. “Chachi, show her her room.”

“I won't share a room with you.” Swara spoke.

“Can't you hear properly? I am not asking you to share a room with me.” He walked away. Once he reached the top of stairs, he turned back and added, “Although you will have to in a month's time when Ragini returns. I don't want her to know about the background of this marriage.”

That evening at the dinner table, Sanskaar asked after Swara. “Last I saw was when I took her to her room. I must really praise her, Sanskaar! So much has happened yet not a single tear did she shed. Her face only held anger.” His Chachi updated.

Anger is better than tears, thought Sanskaar. “Chachi, let her be. She will be fine tomorrow.”

Sanskaar was wrong. Swara was more than just fine next day. While he missed his sister's voice singing the morning aarti, he heard the bell from the mandir. What the hell! Sanskaar stormed out of his room and proceeded towards the mandir downstairs.

His Chachi rushed to him. “Sanskaar! I told her but she just wouldn't listen.”

He walked up behind Swara and asked “What are you doing here? Except Ragini...” He saw the ivory and red bangles that her Dida had given her the day before.

~~~~~

“Swaru, I don't know why you are doing this but I know my Swaru would always do the right thing. Your Ma is probably still in the shock so she forgot. But you know, when a girl gets married and leaves her maternal home, she is to wear these bangles as a blessing for her new life. Tomorrow morning, pray to Durga Ma and then wear these.” Her Dida had said with so much love that Sanskaar felt the pain of separating Swara from her family. Did he commit too big a mistake?

~~~~~

Now Swara had placed them at the foot of Kanha idol. She took the aarti and wore the bangles. “Sorry, I was busy. What were you saying?” Swara turned to him.

Sanskaar smelled the difference in the air and ignored it. “Chachi, you asked me to bring something for her? Did you give her?”

Swara moved and Sanskaar saw the mangalsutra and sindoor box in the thali. “Is this what you were talking about?” She lifted the Thali in both her hands and showed him.

“Yes. I suppose you know what to do with them.” Sanskaar turned and walked a step when he heard his name taken with such authority that he felt his feet halt and turn to the call.

“Sanskaar!” Swara had called. “This is the marriage that we have accepted mutually. Whatever be the motive, I will fulfill this marriage with the same dedication I have fulfilled all other relationships in my life. And. You will as well.”

“Don't be with the idea that you can decide for me.”

“I can, Mr Sanskaar. Now if you want to stay in this marriage, do the needful.” Swara pointed to the Thali.

“Swara, you didn't have a choice. Have you forgotten within 24 hours?”

“I was silent doesn't mean I didn't have a choice. If you had a motive, I had too.”