16. Lucky Steps Up

At the breakfast table, Sanskaar raised the topic that Swara had been refusing to for days now.

“Swara, have you thought of joining Maheshwari business?”

Ragini brought one of the dishes and took her seat next to Swara. “Bhai, don't you get tired of asking the same question?”

“Do I get tired of your charades? No.” Sanskaar smiled at Ragini. She had apologised and he had forgiven; just like plenty other times in their lives. Whether he really forgave her or said the words for namesake, he hadn't decided. He preferred the peace at home and until that's maintained, the forgiveness didn't actually matter.

“Sanskaar is right, Swara. You should join our business.” Chachaji supported.

“You both know very well that I plan to go back to Tunes. I don't think I can handle two at a time.” Swara flashed a smile at Sanskaar sitting beside her and he returned the smile with a slow shake of his head. She had taken the time away from Tunes to study the market. She saw a number of opportunities for acquisition. She was keeping an eye on each of them and waiting for a chance moment. If she was really good at something, it was her patience.

While Swara served the breakfast, Lakshya descended the main stairs. She got up and met him midway in the hall.

“Good Morning Di.” Lucky greeted with a hug.

“Good Morning, Lucky!” Swara tried reading his expression.

“Di, I am sorry for the other day.”

“Doesn't matter now.”

“Lucky, come join us for breakfast. Swara...” Sanskaar called out.

“Come. You came so early. I know you haven't had your breakfast yet.”

Lucky saw the two sides of the table and took a seat next to Sujata opposite Ragini.

Swara took her seat and asked Ragini to pass the dish to Lucky. She observed him lost in the moment. “Lucky, what's wrong?”

“Di?” Lucky looked around the table and weighed if he should reveal before everyone. Also his Di knew that he couldn't escape with food before him. Until he finishes it off, he will be pinned to her glare. He decided to put himself out of that misery and reveal the mess he had created.

“Di… remember the Durga Puja special album that we were planning to release?”

Swara checked her phone before replying, “Hmm... the producers meeting is tomorrow for the finalisation.”

“Not really. The meeting is preponed to today evening 5 pm.”

~~~~~

Swara got up and asked him to come aside. The sample should have been recorded, edited and kept ready a week before.

“Lucky, what's the mess up?”

“Di, we don't have a sample ready yet for the producers. Can you call the producer and postpone to next week?”

“Lucky, he is going out of India and will only be back next month. It would be too late by then.”

Swara crossed her arms. They were counting on Durga Puja special album to bump up the year-end profits. Lucky had clearly messed it up.

“Can we find another producer?”

“This producer has been allowing us to experiment with the Durga Puja albums for past 5 years. Our albums are a hit because we offer a different theme every year. I don't think any other producer would like to take the risk. If the theme is not received well, it could really affect company financials - ours and theirs. You know this very well, Lucky.”

“What do you suggest?”

“Get the sample recorded ASAP. Stop all other work and get this done. I want to hear the sample by 2pm.”

“Di, there's another problem.”

“What is it now, Lucky?”

“Naina, the artist you had approved earlier is in US for a concert. She gave recording dates only after 2 weeks. I didn't realise it's past the meeting date. Sorry.”

Swara squinted at Lucky. Naina was the only artist on the current list who was trained and famed in Hindustani music, this year's theme. “How do you plan to solve this?”

“Okay. This, I have a proper solution. Ragini. She is trained in Hindustani music. We only need a sample today. When Naina comes back, then we can record the actual set with her.”

“Ask her before building castles in the air.” Swara said and walked back to the table. “Irrespective of all these issues,  I want to hear the sample by 2pm. How you do it, is none of my business. Deal with it!”

On the way back, she tapped Sanskaar on his shoulder. “You gotta hear this!” She said softly. She took her seat.

Lucky asked Ragini if she would help him with the sample. Ragini immediately turned to her brother. As usual, Sanskaar gave her a blank look to her decide by herself. She agreed to do it.

~~~~~

When Lakshya sent Swara the sample, she was impressed with Ragini's voice. If Ragini was willing, Swara thought about launching her as the fresh talent of Tunes.

The meeting with the producers had gone smoothly. They have insisted that they launch Ragini as Hindustani music artists are difficult to find. Swara took her cue.

When Sanskaar came home that evening, Swara asked him. “Do you think Ragini should start her career in singing?”

“Did the producers say something?”

“They want Ragini for this album.”

“What do you think? She would be able to manage?”

“You want her to be independent. A career would do that to her.”

“I am all for it. See if Ragini is confident of herself.” Sanskaar had left the final call to Ragini.

“Is it the side effect from the other day? You are not saying anything in her matters.” Swara asked.

“I never force my decisions on Ragini, if she is not interested, then no point in me forcing her for her career.” Sanskaar justified.

Ragini was excited to be able to build a career and identity for herself with her passion for singing. While preparing her portfolio, Swara had promised Ragini to bring her on board. For that, Swara had to get into the picture.