Chapter 1 - Fae

BANG!

"Fae! Are you here?" a girl around the age of 18 suddenly opened the door with a loud crash. The girl inside, a younger one around the age of 14 look at the former with frown.

"Sis Han, didn't I told you to knock before going inside?"

"That's not important!" the girl called Han stormed her way in. "I have an important news for you, that talented student are going for a fight in a moment."

Fae nod slightly. "I see."

"Come on! You must see it!"

"Not interested."

"Come on!"

In the end, Fae was dragged by Hany, Han real name, forcefully. Fae face still calm as usual and it doesn't seems like anything can make her change it. On the other hand, Hany face were flushed red with excitement.

When the arrived at the field, they could see 2 people are standing face to face in the middle with a lot of crowd surrounding them. With Fae height, she basically couldn't see anything from behind these crowd. On the other hand, Hany could see all the view very clearly.

"They are about to begin! Let's head to the balcony!"

Once again Hany drag Fae upstairs where they could have better view. Still, Fae doesn't like getting surrounded by people like this although she didn't say anything at all. Without anything better to do, she turned her head towards the field.

The two people are raising their wooden sword and in the next moment, they started attacking in a speed normal people unable to follow. Hany had been watching intently, while Fae just looking with a bored face as she didn't have any interest in those spars.

Fae shook her head slightly. In this world of sword and magic, only those who are powerful in either field could gained enough influence and glory. Every child born with magic ability will instantly become the next head, either they are boys or girls because magic power are rare. If in that family no one has the magic power, they will train to be a swordsman and challenge the other sibling to prove their power. That's how the nobility could keep up their place throughout the years. And should a commoner were born with magic, they will be either adopted or killed if the background is problematic.

Hany is born in a noble family and her oldest brother is a magician so she is out of question to become the family head. Because of that, Hany and her other brother train hard to become a knight through swordsmanship. Swordsman has many ranks and in this academy, it is start from novice, beginner, recruit, page, squire, and so on*. In academy, most of the noble children would easily gain the recruit rank upon entering as they all had some basic study at home. Hany and her brother current rank is squire. If they want to get higher rank, they need to get outside academy and do some missions.

While Fae still watching, the fight finally ended and the crowd are bustling with excitement. Both of the squire are equally powerful which make the fight even more interesting and last longer than usual. Not to mention that for these student, squire are the highest ranking in the academy and to reach that level, they need more than ten years of practice.

"That was amazing!" Hany is jumping with excitement.

Fae rolled her eyes. In this academy, there are also lesson for ordinary people who want to pursue ordinary life, including hers. She didn't sign up for swordsmanship nor magic so she could be called at the very bottom of society in this world. Not that she care though.

"I need to study."

"You can do that later! Accompany me to train today, I want to show you the result of my hell training this week," Hany declared proudly.

"Hell training..." Fae just laugh slightly. She didn't say anything and silently followed behind Hany to the field. With her body full of energy, Hany start to execute her routine technique before bouncing in delight towards Fae.

"So? How is it?"

"Compare to the highest in the squire ranking, you are far slower."

"Don't be so harsh!" Hany shrugged. "Those guys will soon be a cadet then boom they become the knight. Compare to them, I'm not that much."

"If you want to be strong,  you had to practice," Fae moaned. She truly feel bored and longing to continue her study. Although there are no test, but Fae basically didn't have much activity other than studying and learning new things.

"Geez,  you are no fun as always," complained Hany.

"..." Why did you bring me then? Fae yelled in her mind. She feel annoyed, but she still didn't leave because no one other than Hany would treat commoner as their genuine friend if the latter didn't have great talent in other field. The other reason is simple, she was bored to death with only reading all day and occasionally getting pulled everywhere by Hany is a good refreshing time.

Hany continue her routine while Fae just pick up her pocket-book and reading by the side. She wouldn't want to watch Hany lousy technique anymore. The day passed as the two of them get absorbed in their own world.

"Hany... Why are you making Fae wait for you again?" a young man slightly older than Hany ask helplessly. He is the second brother of Hany and his name is Harry. Although his rank is the same, he is one of the top squire in the academy.

"Second Bro, where have you been?" Hany ask excitedly while wiping her sweat.

"Where? I'm applying for mission."

"Mission? Do you want to rank up already? You're only 19 this year! Isn't that's too early?" Hany ask worriedly.

Harry shake his head. "If I just want to  be an ordinary knight, I wouldn't bother. But my goal is the highest rank! To achieve that, I will work even harder."

"Even if you reach the rank of an emperor, you still wouldn't be chosen as Susanne heir. Our big brother is a talented magician, you know."

"I don't want to be the heir, I just want to be strong, strong enough to protect those that I care about," Harry just smile slightly. His eyes are burning with fire. In this kind of world, who would not want to get stronger? It's just that their ways will be different.

Fae look at that pair of brother and sister with warm smile. Not many family still have close relation with each other and this family is sure one of the kind. Not wanting to disturb them, she exchange some parting words before going back to her room and continue studying again, again, and again. That's how she used to pass her time.

- End of chapter 1

*I make it up by combining some game rank with the real knight ranking so it will not be the same with many other.

----------------

Side note: There may be some grammatical mistake in this book. If you are willing, you may tell me the error and I will do my best to improve it. Thank you and hope you enjoy the book! \^O^/