Chapter 2 - researcher

Fae continue her usual cycle of activity when her door suddenly burst open.

'Again...' thought Fae silently.

"Fae! We have returned!" Hany grinned while waving her hand. She had accompanied her brother for mission this week and didn't bother Fae for a while. During this period of peace time, Fae spend them to studying and reading.

Fae nod. Looking at the vigorous Hany, she could guess that they only choose the lowest rank of mission that's easy to do and could be completed by ordinary squire. With that kind of mission, how could this airhead failed?

"Geez, can't you at least pretend that you're interested? I'm not talking to a wall you know," Hany took a chair and sits down. "What are you studying now? Hmm, are you thinking to become a researcher?"

Researcher is one of the occupation available to ordinary people through academy. Their job is mainly to test about some new things and compile their research. This occupation is no longer that popular and many people were tired with how many things they need to remember. Other than some untalented magician who couldn't advance more than novice rank due to their talent, only some ordinary people still applying.

"Well, yes," Fae shrugged. She doesn't have much interest to work as a civil worker and since she is an orphan, obtaining family business is impossible. Not to mention, with her personality, she wouldn't be able to open a new business.

"I thought there would be no one who want to be a researcher anymore," Hany commented.

"Oh."

"Can't you say anything else?" grunted Hany.

Fae stay silent before shaking her head. What does she want her to say anyway? It's her decision anyway and she didn't really want to talk about the reason to. Without talking anymore, Fae took out her bag and clean up her desk.

"Where do you want to go?"

"There's a test today."

"What test?"

"Qualification test for researcher. It held every three months and today is the test day."

Hany jumped out from her chair. "What? Why didn't you tell me about it? Can I watch it? Where it held?"

Fae found it funny. How could she told these kind of things to her if what she do is always dragging her to every kind of thing? However, she still answered casually and not pointed it out. "You can watch it, it's in the observation hall."

"Got it! I will call for Second Bro and we will cheer for you!"

With that Hany storm out of the room and nearly crash into another student who coincidentally walk on the hall. From her room, Fae could hear the screams of those surprised students and some yelling very clearly. That Hany would surely got another scolding when she meet her teacher the next day.

Fae smile slightly while walking to the observation hall. Now she no longer found Hany action to be weird as she had watch that peculiar behavior of hers for nearly half a year now. 

In a short moment Fae had arrived at the hall and looking around, there are only two other students aside from her. Fae shake her head, researcher popularity sure had dropped a lot. Although this academy is not the best academy in the kingdom, it is one of the best and the number of students amounted to thousands, yet this occupation still empty.

Fae took one of the seats and wait patiently. The other two students also didn't talk as they silently review their notes. It didn't take long before an elderly professor come and smile at them then explaining the test.