Chapter 13

Anti's POV

A couple hundred dollars can buy you a lot in America.

After purchasing some shoes, clothes, and a decent hot meal, I felt great. I had thrown the old man's coat away a while back, but I still reaked of it. Body spray helped, but now I just smelled like someone pissed on Old Spice. 

I sat myself down in a nice, quaint library. I was in the teenager book section, where I somewhat looked like I belonged. I breathed, letting my fears go. Dark was gone. I didn't have to be afraid. 

I ran my eyes over the walls of books surrounding me. It seemed so crazy. How people could write so much, and still have thousands more stories to tell. I was bewildered. But even when I was at peace and safe, I felt like something was missing. I felt... lonely. I craved a warm, long, heartfelt embrace. Someone to comfort me, and snuggle me, to tell me everything was fine. Slowly, my smile disappeared. 

The books didn't seem so incredible anymore, and the windows didn't let in as much sunlight. Everyone around me seemed so much quieter, and I felt eyes watching me from all directions. 

Did I miss Dark? 

I brought my knees into my chest, cradling myself. I was disgusted. How dare I behave like this. There were demons being sold on the black market all over the world, begging for a chance to be free. And yet I had the audacity to want to go back after I escaped? I felt so stupid. I was a horrible creature. I didn't deserve to be alive. I deserved to rot, and to be tormented for the rest of my days. 

I felt a single tear roll down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away and started for the exit of the library. I spotted a little girl staring at me, her eyes were wide with excitement. I was confused, but I continued for the door. 

"Hey!" I heard the little girl shout. I peered over my shoulder, watching her wave me over. What was it with people and wanting to talk to me today? I rolled my eyes and quickly moved over to where she was standing.

"Where are your parents?" I didn't have time for this bullshit. I needed space for me and only me. The little girl ignored the question.

"My name's Sarah. Why do you have two different colored eyes?" She had the cutest and most annoying voice I had ever heard. 

I knelt down to her level. She looked like she was about 6 years old. Definitely old enough to know not to talk to strangers. I shook my head. "I was just made this way. Now where are your parents?" I was getting frustrated. I had eternity to myself, and my eternity was being wasted.

Sarah blinked, as if I was stupid (I was not). "My dad's mad at me, so he decided to go 'cool off' in another section of the library." 

"That seems a little fucked up to do in a crowded library with a 5 year old."

She frowned. "I'm 7, and my dad says that people shouldn't swear." 

"Well your dad isn't here, and I don't care. I'm old enough to do what I want, so I'll swear as I please." What the hell was wrong with this girl?

Sarah shrugged her shoulders. "I guess so. And my dad doesn't really care about me so this isn't that big of a deal."

I rolled my eyes again, sarcasm lacing my words. "I'm sure he cares about you. Otherwise, why would you bother sticking around."  I know, I know, stop chastising me for encouraging a child to run away from home. 

The little girl shook her head. "No. He only cares about Jackson." She paused, her brow furrowing until she came to a conclusion. "And you have  to love your dad. He's been there for you, even if you didn't notice it. You have to love him, even if it kills you."

I was take aback a little. Shit. I know this wasn't directed towards me, but something about it resonated. 

You have to love him, even if it kills you

When I used common sense, this obviously didn't apply to Dark. He never cared for me, and he sure as fuck wasn't my dad. I didn't have to love him. But the needy part of me, the part that felt so overwhelmingly lonely, agreed with this little girl. 

I stood back up, and glanced over the heads of the library goers. I didn't even know what this girl's dad looked like, so I took the most logical next step. I shouted. 

"Will the fuck-up father of Sarah come and get her?" I smirked as the people around me gasped and turned away, shielding me from the eyes of their kids. I guess a demon isn't the role model you want your kids looking up to. I patted the top of the girl's head and strode through the front doors.

But I felt my heart sink as I continued to walk out and towards the street. I guess I was going back to Dark. I was going to the demon who hated me, but loved me. Who wants to destroy me, but never wants any harm to come to me. Whom I was longing for and whom I loved, but was toxic.

Fuck me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry that this is a little short and a little late, but I tried!