Chapter 16

Anti's POV

I don't know how long I stayed there, cradled in Dark's arms. I felt so helpless, so alone. Nothing made sense anymore. Fuck soulmates, fuck Dark -- I just wanted to be happy, that's all I've ever wanted to be. I just didn't know how. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw him.

We're meant for each other, but we're going to kill each other. Dark's a desperate psycho who needs someone to make him feel loved, and I'm a disappointing demon who gets high off of his own pain and misery. Together, we would rot away, forever in agony.

I felt Dark's thumb rub over my shoulder, and my mind slowed until I could breathe steadily again.

"I care about you, Anti," Dark whispered. "I want to make you happy, but I'm broken."

I brought my hand to my eyes and rubbed away the left over tears. I felt like I should move, but Dark was so warm and I couldn't bring myself to suffer the cold alone.

Dark continued talking after I didn't respond. "I hurt people. It's what I'm good at. I knew that we were soulmates when I... bought you." Dark sounded ashamed, guilty of how we came to know each other. I flinched at the words. How could I love someone who didn't understand what love was?

I felt Dark take in a shaky breath, and felt something wet land on my shoulder. I slowly looked up at him, and I saw the tears he was holding back. His eyes looked so tired, broken, and if you looked close enough, you could see your own reflection.

Those eyes... they had seen so much pain, so much torture. Watched so many suffer, yet had no control to stop it.

It was those eyes that stopped me, those goddamn eyes that had me entranced the moment I met Dark. Behind them, somewhere beyond the black abyss that I could get lost in, there was a broken soul that felt it was beyond fixing, destined to rot.

And just as clearly as I could see my physical reflection in those dark pools, I could see a mirror image of myself behind them.

...

No one deserves to rot alone.

I tentatively brought my hand up to Dark's face, using my thumb to brush away his tears. He tried to turn his head away, but before he could, I used both my hands to cradle his face.

"Maybe there's some good in us," I whispered as I felt more hot tears streak down my face.

Dark waited a moment as I felt the silence around us begin to choke me. Then he closed his eyes and brought his forehead down to rest against mine. I breathed deep, not sure what the scent was, but knowing that it made me calm.

We both knew that we were failures, mistakes, accidents that God himself rejected. But even with this knowledge, we would persevere.

Because it's easier to work on loving yourself

when there's someone else who's willing to love you.

~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this ending is okay for you, thank you for staying with me on this journey, you are all troopers and angels. I'm going to be inactive on this account for a while, maybe forever. If you want to see me write more things and my own original concepts, I've made a new account perpetual_insomnia if you're interested, you can check it out

Thanks for the wild ride, love y'all <3