Chapter 9: Allies With The Devil

Dedicated Chapter Song: Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift

I don't trust nobody and nobody trusts me. I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams.

(Anna)

“Grr... It's not good to get too close to him just yet. I've got to wait...” Anna reminded herself, desperately wanting to ride up to Levi and strangle his throat at that point. When Erwin made eye contact with her at the end of his speech, she was certain he'd somehow figured out her identity. So far it didn't seem that way but she knew she still had to be cautious.

The Scouts rode on horseback to their temporary quarters, yet Anna held back, away from the Veterans, just to be safe. Rose wasn't too far ahead of her, but she was the furthest back. “So if I'm going to kill him...it has to be this week,” her green eyes slowly glanced up, only to see that Levi happened to be right in front of her, looking over his shoulder at her. “You're too far back.” he said with a scowl. “Either pick up the pace or just give up and go home.” his fist tightened around his reigns.

Anna grit her teeth at his words. How could he be even more cold and harsh than before? “Kch...Mind your own business. Don't you think I've got a lot on my mind?” his eyes flashed. “What did you say to me?”

“I said to mind your own business! God, unplug your ears.” then she realized her act had dropped and her eyes widened in shock. “Oh— no, no, no! I'm so sorry, I forgot who I was talking to! I-I-I'll pick up the pace, Captain, I swear...." She gulped, her face flushing bright red. “Please don't make me go back to the fields...” Surprisingly, her plea seemed to be genuine...as though she'd meant it. Rika, the character she had to play for the longest time, was sweet and innocent and shy, completely unlike herself. Anna hated portraying her with every fiber of her being.

“Tch,” Levi straightened his shoulders, taking in the details of her face. “You look familiar.”

Anna laughed nervously and rubbed the back of her neck. “I-I-I was at the Battle of Trost, sir,” she faked a smile. “I was one of the soldiers that helped Section Commander Hanji capture the medium abnormals.”

“Yeah... that's right...I remember now. Sorry. I thought you were someone else.”

“Hehe, that's alright!” she beamed. “I get mistaken for others easily. Guess I've just got that kinda face, huh? This one time, an old guy was convinced I was his daughter and tried to marry me off to his neighbor!”

“Tch. Sounds disgusting.”

“Yeesh. One of the most awkward days of my life.” she blushed. “Luckily, I got it all sorted out so everything turned out just peachy in the end!”

“I didn't catch your name, cadet.”

“Um, well, that's cause I— uh, I didn't throw it!” she joked, stuttering nervously. When given a stern look Anna sloppily saluted. “Eheh... Rika, sir.”