Chapter 11: The Masked Murderer

Dedicated Chapter Song: America - Motionless In White

Still living one big nightmare. God save the human race.
(Anna)

Anna laid low for the next week, especially during the trial for custody of Eren Jaeger, knowing she didn't want to cause a grand spectacle that would cause mass hysteria amongst the public anymore than there already was

That all changed the following week, however. Reports of sighting of the Silent Assassin in various Districts, villages and towns came flooding in to the Military Police in almost no time. In just three days, 13% of deaths amongst Humanity was caused solely by the Silent Assassin. The rest was either disease, starvation or the obvious— Titans.

“You don't think the Silent Assassin is going to come after any of us, do you?” Sasha Braus asked over dinner. “Why would they come after us? We haven't done anything.” Krista Lenz, a pretty blonde with bright blue eyes chimed in. Her overly clingy friend Ymir threw her arms behind her head. “Speak for yourself, Krista.”

Anna wasn't paying the conversation too much mind as she grabbed her tray of food. “What do you think, Rika?” she was suddenly asked by Connie. “Think the Silent Assassin is gonna come after any of us?”

Anna gulped, knowing she had to lie. Putting on a bright and cheery smile, she turned around. “Of course not! The Silent Assassin is nothing but a story made up by the MPs to scare everyone into funding us more, didn't you know?” she giggled.

Armin Arlert looked up from his food. “Are you sure about that?” Anna laughed, taking a seat beside Mikasa. “Of course I am! I keep up with the news, you know. Anyways, even if the Silent Assassin did exist, which I'm not saying they do, why would they come after us? All we're trying to do is save Humanity.”

“I heard that the Commander suspects them to be one of us.” Jean sighed.

“But that's impossible,” Anna shook her head. “If it were one of us, somebody would've noticed by now. Right?”

“Maybe someone has noticed,” Mikasa said. “and just isn't telling us.”

“You mean they're withholding information in order to protect us?” Eren asked curiously.

Anna straightened her shoulders as Armin replied. “That could very well be the case.”

“There's rumors that they're going to kill again tonight. Somewhere in the interior. The Captain's going out on a patrol just in case.” Connie informed.

Hmm, so he's going to be alone in the Interior? Interesting...

“Connie!” Jean chided, snapping Anna out of her train of thought. “You don't just go spewing private information like that! What if one of us were the Silent Assassin?!”