Chapter 10: Trust The Enemy

Dedicated Chapter Song: I'm About To Break You - New Year's Day

You bring out the devil inside of me and I can't help that I made you weak. Just because I can doesn't mean that I will, but I'm about to break you.
(Anna)

It wasn't uncommon for Anna to only manage to get one hour of sleep a night, and that hour was usually split up into two sessions of half an hour naps

It wasn't uncommon for Anna to only manage to get one hour of sleep a night, and that hour was usually split up into two sessions of half an hour naps. Anna hated it when people told her it was unhealthy to get such little sleep, when she'd trained for an entire week on less. She'd learned that her own energy was like that of the gas in her ODM tank, and that if she conserved it enough for when it mattered, she could get farther than anyone else on it.

Her years Underground taught her how to be the best fighter based on what her own body allowed her to do. Unable to sleep that night, Anna could be found in the training grounds, practicing her signature ODM kills. Her leather straps hugged tightly to her velvet tank top and thin jeans- not her normal attire, but one more complicated and restricting on her movements. She always enjoyed challenging herself in new ways that would better enhance her skills.

Locking on to a 12-meter cardboard figure of a Titan, Anna lunged herself into the air, keeping a hook in its back. When she reached her peak altitude, she pulled her arms in to her side to increase her speed as she dove in towards it's nape. At the last second she uprighted herself into a feet-first position. As she came in contact with the fake Titan, she pushed off of its shoulder and performed a backflip while simultaneously retrieving two blades from the metal cannisters on her hips. While she was still upside down from the backflip, she sliced up and out at the nape in an X-motion.

As she began to fall back to the ground thanks to gravity, she switched her focus to the ankle pads on the Titan and dove in straight for those, hacking and slashing at them with every ounce of might she had left. Knowing if the Titan were alive, it wouldn’t be dead yet, Anna swooped back up into air. She barrelled down like a spinning top, the moon reflected off of her blades, giving her the impression of a white hot ball of fury.

When she successfully performed her kill, she landed gracefully before her victim. “That's all she wrote!” she exclaimed, throwing her hands into the air in victory. After her little celebration, she gently tapped her gas tanks with her fist, listening to the empty and hollow sound that was their reply. “Damn. Outta gas,” she glanced to the darkened trail that lead deeper into the forest to the nearest restock base.

“Sure, a half a mile walk in the dark woods all alone never killed anyone,” Anna sarcastically muttered, swiping up her leather journal from its resting place on a nearby boulder, and descended into the dank forest. Base structures were basically small wooden towers stocked with hundreds of extra blades and gas tanks that were typically planted in several varying locations along regiment training grounds.

“Day one,” Anna said aloud as she wrote in her journal. “Still getting used to this soldier-ly life. I've made some allies today who will do justice in aiding me. The rest of these lowlife cadets have already disappointed me by being the best of the mediocre. I'm quite positive each of them will die off fairly soon— save for my in-law of some form (Mikasa Ackerman).” she kicked the dirt as she walked, knowing the base was just a few more meters up ahead.