Chapter 16: We Fought to Forget

Dedicated Chapter Song: Towards The Sun - Rhianna

Turn your face towards the sun
Let the shadows fall behind you
Don't look back, just carry on
And the shadows will never find you
(The Elites)

Turn your face towards the sunLet the shadows fall behind youDon't look back, just carry onAnd the shadows will never find you(The Elites)

16 Years Ago:

The four children, clutching to their writhing selves cried in agony in that rusted and broken down warehouse. Only one out of the four was calmer than the others. "R-Ruby..." Rosaline Lariviere crawled on her stomach towards her baby sister, who was no more than five at the time. Ruby was curled up into a ball, screaming and crying for their mother.

The toxic injections they'd been given had begun to change them physically, inside and out. Their bones grew stronger, and some small or large detail on the outside changed for all of them, marking them as products of Violet Experimentation. That man would be back in a few short hours to collect them if they managed to fully survive the injections. No one really knew what to do until then except mourn.

"Hey..." Anna reached out to the boy who hid in the dark corner of the warehouse. "Please..." he sobbed, laying his small head into his arms. "... don't come any closer. It's all my fault..." he wept, fearful of his life and fearful of any other human contact. Anna made sure to be gentle with him, as she'd known to do with her own baby brother whenever he was in trouble.

"No, I don't blame you," Anna slowly approached him, getting down on her knees. She knew to be patient with him. "My fr- um...I was kidnapped by someone I trusted...and I was sold out here. How did you get here?"

"My older brother," the teenage boy snivelled. "my twin brother....he... he's one of the high-ranking Elite members...he enjoys killing people for a living. He says if I don't start doing it, then he'll kill me too." the boy began to bawl again.

"Hey," Anna reassuringly placed her arm on his shoulder. "I'm not gonna let you die, okay?" she glanced over her shoulder at the Larivieres. "I'm not going to let any of us die." Rose took a fistful of her sister's hair in her hands, staring at it in horror. "We're going to do whatever it takes to get out of here." she turned back to the boy, who'd removed his head from his arms. Anna sucked in a breath at the sudden appearance of his face. "Wait a second. I know you..."

"You're the girl who saved me from the explosion the other day..."

“Yeah, that's right...” Anna nodded slowly. "Your eyes were green, last I checked."

"And your eyes were blue." he pointed out.

"Are they not still?" Anna reached over and picked up a broken mirror shard, staring at her reflection. "My eyes!” she shrieked. “What...is this?”