Chapter 19: A Skeleton Remains

Dedicated Chapter Song: Cadence of My Heart - The Relentless

We all bleed the same shade. Never again the one afraid. What you stole, you tear me apart. Now here's the cadence of my heart.
(Anna)

"There you are, Rika," Anna froze at the sudden chilling voice from behind her as she 'limped' towards the supply depot

"There you are, Rika," Anna froze at the sudden chilling voice from behind her as she 'limped' towards the supply depot. "I've been looking all over for you!"

"Kasahara, there you are!" and then came Levi's voice.

"No, no, no..." Anna whispered, her eyes wide as she looked for a way to avoid both of them. "Darling!" suddenly two thick, strong arms were around her waist, hoisting her up into the air. "PUT ME DOWN, SAMUEL!" she thrashed wildly in his arms.

Levi stopped short, worried that this might be the brother Rika had mentioned earlier. "Aww, I can't surprise my beautiful bride?" Samuel flashed a cheeky grin. Anna felt the ground beneath her begin to sway. "You never told me you were engaged." Levi suddenly chimed in.

Knowing she had to keep her cover in front of Boss, she gulped and rubbed the back of her neck. "The topic never came up."

Samuel faked an offended gasp. "Whaaat? Don't you want everyone to know about our love, darling?" Anna grimaced and looked away from him. "You know...how it is...if...my parents found out..." she spoke through gritted teeth.

Though Levi was most likely heartbroken, he seemed to take notice in her discomfort. Something was definitely off between her and this new "Samuel" person.

"Please go, Samuel," Anna begged, side-eyeing Levi for just a split second. "I need to finish last minute preparations before the Expedition." Samuel's glowing red eyes flickered upwards to glare at Levi. "There's not... something going on that I should know about...is there?"

Anna shuffled away from him. "No." She spoke all too quickly. "Why would... you think that? He's just my commanding officer. That's all."

"I'm your Captain." Levi reminded her. She dismissively waved him off. "Same shit."

"Ah, I see," Samuel quietly chuckled. "Good. Because I'd hate it if you were lying to me, doll," his eyes were practically glaring into her soul. Anna gulped, but thankfully the bell tolled for Scouts to begin getting into formation to leave headquarters. "I need to go. We'll talk about this later." But just as she turned to walk away, Samuel said something with a vicious grin.

"I believe I ordered you to kill him, Anna. Not...to fuck him."

Levi froze for a moment, and so did she. Shit! Why did he have to call me out?!