Chapter 12: The Story You Tell

Dedicated Chapter Song: Wolf In Sheep's Clothing - Set It Off

Beware, beware, be skeptical
Of their smiles, their smiles of plated gold
Deceit so natural
But a wolf in sheep's clothing is more than a warning
(About Rika/Anna)

Beware, beware, be skepticalOf their smiles, their smiles of plated goldDeceit so naturalBut a wolf in sheep's clothing is more than a warning(About Rika/Anna)

"Captain?" Anna snapped her fingers in front of Levi's face. He didn't seem to react to her immediately. Anna glanced at the table before them and the pool of tea as it over flowed from his cup while he was pouring from the kettle. "Captain...? Captain! Levi!" she shouted, banging her fist against the wood of the table.

Levi finally blinked, then glared at her.

"S-sorry..." she whispered quietly.

"What?" Anna only responded by pointing at the pool of hot liquid. Levi glanced down, cursing violently under his breath. Anna cocked her head to the side as she watched him jump from his seat to grab some cleaning supplies. "Are...you...okay?"

"Why is it any of your business?"

Anna glanced around the empty mess hall they both sat in. "Because you promised me one-on-one training today and you seem completely distracted." she simply replied. "We can reschedule if you want-"

"We're not rescheduling. I don't need to see your bratty face more than once this week." Levi wiped up the tea spill and sipped at his overflowing cup.

"Okaaay...that was rude." Anna pouted. "But really, are you okay? You seem really out of it."

"I'm fine. Just had a hard night." he replied. "Wanna talk about it?" Anna kindly asked, knowing exactly what happened but choosing to ask anyways. Levi inhaled through his nose as he took his seat again. "No. Not really."

"If I pester you enough, will you tell me?"

"I'll kick your ass is what I'll do."

Anna giggled. "No need to be so harsh, Captain. I'm only curious. I like to get to know my colleagues personally. It helps in knowing what they expect from me and what I can provide them in the field. I've kept a couple friends alive because of my technique." Fortunately for her, none of that was a lie, making it easier for her to say.

Levi leaned forward in his chair. "You know about the Silent Assassin, right? The one you're skeptical about?"

"I'm not skeptic. I was just told it was a myth created by the MPs to get more funding than the Scouts."

"That's a bullshit lie." Levi coldly replied. "She very much exists. I managed to finally run into her as of last night. Lost a few good men and women to her hooligans."

"So it is a girl?" Anna pretended to be curious.

"Yeah." he sighed. "But not just any girl. A girl I used to know a very, very long time ago. In fact, I think it's my fault why she is the Silent Assassin."