Chapter 20: The Female Assassins

Dedicated Chapter Song: Not Today - BTS

All the underdogs in the world, a day may come when we lose. But it is not today! Today we fight!
(Anna)

 But it is not today! Today we fight!(Anna)

17 Years Ago

Elizabeth Ackerman, the fierce and feisty sister-in-law to Kenny the Ripper, was a face well-known to many in the Underground City. Though she was beautiful and graceful she had a deadly side to her that people rarely saw— if they ever survived being the presence of it. Though she preferred not to be referred to as an Ackerman, as that made it all too obvious of her abilities, and her family's bloodline.

She loved her children dearly, but she hated that her daughter was more valuable than her son, because they were only half-siblings, born with equally different blood. When Elizabeth's husband begged for another child, she found herself impregnated by another man just to save them all from the consequences of having a second child with pure Marley blood.

There was another child in the Underground, one known almost more than herself, that had similar abilities. Elizabeth knew he was a distant part of their bloodline, but kept in a secret as her brother-in-law begged her to. But, she knew that if one person in the world could protect her daughter, it would be him.

He wasn't very hard to track down, since he followed Kenny like a little puppy dog. Elizabeth found him sitting just outside a pub, waiting for Kenny, while sharpening a knife. “You're Levi,” she crooned with an eloquent voice. It wasn't a question, but rather a statement. The teen looked up at her, his dark hair sweeping into his silvery-blue eyes. “Yeah? So?” he coldly asked. With a warm smile on her face, she continued.

“You most likely don't remember me,” she spoke calmly. “it was a few years ago since we last met. You broke my daughter's leg back then.” Levi raised his head, a stunned look in his eyes, then lowered it in shame. “How is she?” he asked quietly.

“For now, she is doing fine. However, I fear that it won't stay that way for very long.” Elizabeth glanced away from the boy, feeling as though they were being watched. “I...need to ask a favor of you,” her eyes glanced back to the boy. “You're strong, yes?”

“Yeah. So?”

“You can kill someone, can't you?”

“Where are you going with this?” he cautiously asked.

“I... I need you to protect my daughter Anna.” she begged. “Pro..tect her?” Levi stared at the woman in utter confusion. “Someone dangerous is after her. I...can't tell you why. I have a feeling that something terrible is going to happen soon. She's too innocent for this world. She needs someone like you to protect her.”