Hello

I thanked the social worker for everything she'd done for me. She smiled at me sadly, then handed the flight attendant my single bag. 

The social worker gently took my face between both of her cold hands and looked right into my eyes. "Stay safe. And Jenna, please do what the flight attendants tell you. You'll be ok." And with that, she turned her back on me, and was gone.

The flight attendant took my hand, smiling brightly, and lead me down the hallway, into the plane.

She guided me to a couple of seats with signs on the headrests saying 'Reserved'. I sat down on the window seat as she stowed my bag above me. 

"Stay buckled up until I tell you, okay? And if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask. We should be taking off soon." The flight attendant, who's name was Ann, cooed. 

I sighed. She was treating me like a baby. I was twelve! I had flown on a plane before, just never by myself. I bit my lip as painful thoughts pierced my calm.

I will not cry. I silently chanted to myself, over and over again, until I had banished all sad thoughts from my mind. My mantra was interrupted when someone sat down next to me, bouncing in the seat, before being strapped in by a chastising Ann. 

I carefully peeked out at my companion from under my curtain of hair, then retreated when bright green eyes turned to me. I felt my cheeks going red, an annoyingly uncontrollable habit. Sitting next to me was the cutest boy I had ever seen in my entire life. I hadn't realised how interested I had been in boys until I met this one. 

Shut up. I told my brain. He's never going to like you. You're just so plain and ugly.

"Hi!" A voice beside me chimed, and two fingers parted my curtain of hair. Once again, two brilliant green eyes were privy to all of my blushing glory. 

"I'm Harry." The boy stated, leaning back a little. I continued to silently blush, going even redder when the boy tucked my hair behind my ears.

"Jenna." I replied meekly.

"HI, Jenna! Why are you by yourself? My parents are sending me to visit my grandparents!" Wow, this was an energetic one. I almost laughed at his enthusiasm until I realised what he said. A single, silent tear broke through my mask of calm and rolled down my cheek. 

The boy, Harry, looked frightened and surprised at the same time. "What's wrong?" More tears from me. "What did I say?" I started sobbing. "Jenna?! Ann! Ann!" 

The flight attendant rushed over. "What's wrong honey? Don't like flying?"

I managed to pull myself together enough to stop the tears. I hadn't realised that we were already up in the air. I had been totally fascinated by Harry.

Ann was still talking to me, her tone becoming increasingly worried. She suddenly switched to Harry, demanding answers.

"I...I'm....fine. It... wasn't .....his fault." I choked out, motioning to a nervous looking Harry. 

"What did you say to her, young man?" Ann quietly interrogated. 

"I just asked why she was by herself. And I said that I was because I'm visiting my grandparents." Harry said quickly. 

"Oh." Ann sighed, and motioned for Harry to follow her down the aisle. 

He quietly unbuckled his seat belt, and turned to me with a worried expression. I had calmed my breathing down by now, and turned to look at him, emotionless. 

"Don't go anywhere." He ordered me in a whisper, then planted a kiss on my forehead. 

I stared after him in shock. He kissed me. The cutest guy I'd ever met had just kissed me. I mean, it wasn't on the lips or anything, but it was real enough for me. 

He doesn't actually like you, Jenna.  My subconscious informed me. He just felt sorry for you. That's all. 

I sighed. My subconscious was usually right. Except when it told me to leave the house that one fateful afternoon... But I could handle this pain. I'd done it before. Grieving was always going to be a part of my life.

A sudden thought occured to me. How old was Harry? He acted like a five year old.... Please don't let him be younger than me. It would be so wrong if I was falling for someone younger than me.

"Jenna?" A voice spoke softly into my ear. I turned to find those amazing green eyes staring into mine. 

He sucked in deep breath and then spoke in a rush. "I'm so so so sorry about what I said. I had no idea about what happened to you and your family. Please don't stay mad at me!" 

I gave him a small smile. "It's okay Harry. It just takes a while for the hurt to go away."

He nodded sympathetically. 

I hesitated, but decided to ask anyways. "Uh, Harry?" 

"Yeah?"

"Um... how old are you?"

He grinned proudly. "Twelve as of Feburary."

Phew. He was a couple of months older than me. He was just really immature. 

"Jenna?" 

"Yes?"

"How old are you?"

I giggled. "Twelve... as of May."