Caught

I woke up in the morning feeling whole, about to move, and then I remembered. Harry was here. I felt something touching my waist and looked down, carefully only moving my head. Harry had his arm wrapped around me, and I could feel his chest against my back. I listened to his breathing to see if he was awake. He was either a really good faker, or he was asleep. I felt his breath warm on my neck and smiled. I didn’t care what Liam or anyone else would say. This was perfect. 

I lay there, listening to Harry’s breathing until it changed.

I rolled over, his arm sliding over me. “Hi Harry.”

“Hi.” He mumbled back, his voice deeper with sleep. Then his green eyes flew open and he hurriedly moved back, unwrapping his arm from around my waist. “Sorry! I didn’t mean to cuddle up like that!”

I thought back to last night, that ‘dream’ I had right before I fell asleep. “Yes you did. But I don’t mind.” I sat up, swung my legs over the bed and walked out to the kitchen. I heard Harry follow me and hop up onto the kitchen counter. 

“Pancakes?” I asked, bending over to search the drawers for a bowl. The apartment's free furnishings included cooking supplies. Getting no answer, I stood up and faced Harry. 

He quickly averted his eyes. “Pancakes are good.” I sighed. He had been checking out my butt again. 

I grabbed the ingredients from the cupboard and carried them over to Harry, who was still sitting on the counter. 

“Down.” I commanded. He raised and eyebrow. I rolled my eyes. “Harry! I need to use the counter!”

He jumped off and moved to the couch. I began making the pancake mix as Harry found the remote and turned off the TV. I was whisking when I heard Harry groan. 

“What?” I asked. 

“Come here.” He replied.

I set down the bowl of pancake mix and walked over to Harry. I was expecting more One Direction news on the TV, but instead Harry showed me his phone. I read the message from Liam he showed me and then he clicked on the link. I moaned. Someone had gotten pictures of Harry and I kissing outside last night, and of him going into my building. 

“Harry. We’re screwed.” 

He sighed. “I know. Liam was mad enough-”

“Not Liam! Everyone! The world thinks we’re dating!”

Harry looked at me. “Are we?”

I felt a tear rolling down my cheek, and I grabbed Harry in a hug. “You don’t know how much I want to, Harry. But I have to do my schooling, and you’re going back to London.”

Harry rubbed my back. “We could have a long distance relationship...”

I looked into his green eyes. “I don’t think that would work, Harry.” 

He turned his head and looked out the window. I rested my face on his bare chest. 

“I’m sorry.” I choked out. “But I promise I’ll still talk to you on Skype and stuff.”

“It’s not the same Jen.” He pressed a kiss to my forehead and then stood up. I released him from my grasp and then walked back to the kitchen. I started whisking the pancake mix but Harry walked out from my bedroom, buttoning his shirt back up. 

I looked at him, startled. “Where are you going?”

He sighed. “Sorry. Could you drive me home please? Liam will have both our heads if I’m not back with a bloody good excuse.”

I nodded, setting down the pancake mix. I ran to my room to grab my keys, pulling on some sweatpants over my shorts. I ran my fingers through my hair and walked back out.

Harry was waiting by the door. I walked to the door and unlocked it, letting Harry out first. I closed the door behind me and followed Harry to the waiting elevator. As soon as the doors shut Harry slid his hand into mine. I squeezed it, not looking at him.

We reached the lobby and we ran out to my car, still holding hands. We broke apart as I ran around to the driver’s side, and Harry got in the passenger seat. The whole drive back to his hotel we were both quiet. 

When I finally pulled up at the curb Harry turned to me. “If you ever change your mind about the dating thing, let me know.” He kissed me on the forehead and got out. I was about to drive off when he tapped on the window with his knuckle. 

I rolled it down. “Yeah?”

“We’re leaving tonight. To go back to London.”

I nodded, smiling sadly at him.

“Jenna?”

“Yeah?”

“I..love you.”

“I’ve always loved you, Haz.” I choked out. And with that, I hit the gas, speeding back to my apartment. 

I didn’t look back.