1. What? It's in the Dictionary Right?

Pic of Annabeth above!
"Annabeth!" I groaned as I rolled over to slap my alarm to snooze. I patted it around looking for the metal or some type of metal to hit but all I felt was rough, slightly greasy flesh.

"Annabeth!" So it wasn't my alarm. I jumped at the sight as I opened my eyes grabbing the book by my nightstand as a weapon.

"Merciful mother of Gods!" I shrieked nearly hitting my stepmother, Helen in the face. She looked like the Grinch on marijuana on Christmas Eve. Her face was a disgusting green color as if her lotion was replaced with guacamole. Actually, I take that back. Guacamole was fresher than the color on her face. My Gods, why was that on her face? She should know that she tried every brand of moisturizer and face cream doesn't help her face.

I'd say Helen was pretty, because everyone is beautiful no matter what, but I'm so struck by the nastiness behind her eyes. Helen is a petite Asian woman yet managed to be taller than me. She has unnatural silky blackish brown hair and brown eyes. I think her attitude is what causes her to gain pimples. It's too ugly to fix, just like her personality.

Or at least that's what Thalia and Piper says.

"Get up, Now." she growled in my face. Ugh, I like my space.

"I'd get up once you get out!" I grumbled sitting up in my bed. Helen stomped over to the door to escort herself out. She looked around my room as if she was disgusted she brought herself up here. It's not every day you see someone living in an attic, but Helen wanted it for the "extra space" when she really just wanted to give one of my twin half-brothers my room.

"How you survive in here, I don't know." She shuddered mockingly.

"You put me in here!" I screeched before throwing my pillow at the door. She closed it before it could hit her. Damn it! I slouched in my bed and rubbed my face in misery. God I hate that woman. But I should liven up, it's the last day of school before Spring Break. That means I'll be spending all week with my friends instead of at this hell with Helen. My suitcase was already packed and at my friend's house.

My dad was always away lecturing different schools in the state on war history, so he was usually never home, sometimes he even leaves the state. Don't get me wrong, I love my dad and he loves me, but his work is what supports the family since Helen doesn't have a job. Apparently she is more of a housewife type of person.

My real mom, Athena Chase, she passed away when I was born. All I have left of her is this box my dad gave me. It contained most of her jewelry, and a Yankee's Cap. My favorite pieces of jewelry are these beautiful silver owl earrings. I never take them off.

My dad remarried Helen years ago when I was nine. She never really liked me, but my father never really saw it. I never said anything to him about it because somehow, Helen makes him happy. They had two children together, twin boys named Bobby and Matthew. I love my brothers even though sometimes I want to kill them. They managed to get most of their traits from my father rather than Helen, so they are cool in their own eight year old ways.

I stood up from my bed stretched as I yawned. It's six forty-five and school starts at eight. I had time. I pulled out a sea green sweatshirt and black jeans to wear with my converse sneakers. It was warmer in New York now that winter was over.

I jumped as I heard the familiar beep of my phone. It was an iPhone 4, only because Helen thinks I don't deserve more expensive items. But I'm saving up for a new one; the iPhone 6 has been calling my name for a while. I opened my test messages.

I'll pick you up at 7:40!

The message was from my friend Piper. She drives me every day since Helen forces me to take the bus.