Chapter 44: Don't Become Vulnerable

Rule #32: Don't Become Vulnerable 

Never put yourself in scary situations. 

- () - 

I hear Harper before I see him. 

The series of harsh barking and low whining comes from the back of the office. I step inside the pet store, glancing at Leo, who's working at the cash register today. He avoids my gaze, focusing on refilling the stapler instead. Even the animals are unusually somber when I walk past them in my way to Peter's office. His door is open, letting the dog's bark echo around the store. 

"...you're alright, you're alright," Peter says, standing in front of a cage with two gloves on. "Shh, that's it. Calm down." 

The dog lets out another series of growls when I step inside the office, sulking back into the shadows. With an unpleasant jerk, I realize this is the puppy I gave away just a few months ago.

Except this Harper is bigger. Burlier. Bloodier. One of his eyes is swollen, making his entire face look like it weighs more on the right. Scratches, probably from another dog, run up his right arm and left leg, grating his fur and reveal the skin under it. He limps as he paces around the cage, troubled. 

Peter looks over his shoulder with a wince, "You're here. I didn't expect you this early."

"Archer didn't have swim practice today so he - is that Harper?" 

I step closer to get a better look, but stop when the dog begins to set off another round of barking. There are no signs of recognition in his eyes, just fear and fury. 

"Yeah," Peter stands up with a sigh. "Why don't we talk about this outside?" 

We walk outside. Peter closes the door behind him, but you can still hear Harper through the barrier. His growling sounds furious, wounded and nothing like the Harper I fell in love with months ago. 

"We're not keeping him for long," Peter says, turning my attention back to him. "He has to go to another shelter in Utah tonight." 

I'm not ready to ask why yet. Instead, I say, "Was he a part of the dog-fighting ring?" 

"Kind of?" Peter rubs the back of his neck. "Harper wasn't big enough to become an actual fighter, so they used him as bait." 

"Bait." 

"Yeah, for the bigger dogs who don't know how to hunt down -" Peter breaks off and sighs, then starts again." - I'll spare you the gory details. Anyways, they decided that Harper is too dangerous to be around people or pets. We won't be able to take care of him." 

"So, what? They're going to send him to another facility?"

"They're going to have to put Harper down." 

Even though this was the news I was expecting, maybe even dreading, everything inside of me freezes. My blood runs cold, goosebumps run up my spine and my hearts beat just a little bit slower. 

I take a second to compose myself.  "Is there no way to save him?" 

"Not unless somebody adopts him. And in the state that Harper is in, it'll break ethical violations just showing it to potential customers."