Chapter 47: Be Ungrateful

Rule #38: Be Ungrateful 

Rebels don't need to become indebted, or attached, to anybody. 

- () - 

Before long, Friday arrives. The police haven't called me since I turned in a report so I give the go-ahead on the road trip. After arguing with my mom for a straight hour, she allowed me to go to miss one and a half days of school in order to go to my old school's graduation. 

Peyton's Road Trip List 

1) Food - I packed enough granola bars and sandwiches for all of today's trip. The rest of our meals will have to come out of money. 

2) People - Originally, I planned the trip to be just Archer, I and a couple of other friends. But Archer, being Archer, managed to gather a group of twenty-six people that all want to go with us. 

3) Ride - Obviously Archer's Audi isn't enough to fit all of us. Two of his friends on the swim team managed to get large vans for us to cross the country on. 

4) Shelter - I booked a couple of rooms in the cheapest hotels I could find - one in Kentucky, one in Illinois - after chasing a few people down for money. 

"Sounds like you have everything you need," Dr. Robinson says. "Nervous?" 

"A little," I put my chin in my hand. "So you don't think it's a bad idea for me to go back and talk to Xavier?" 

"On the contrary. Sometimes confronting our demons is the only way to defeat them," The chair crackles as she leans back.  "You might find out that he's not as intimidating as you make him out to be in your head." 

I doubt that. "What should I say if I meet them?" 

"That's up to you," Dr. Robinson tilts her head to gauge my expression. "Is there something you want to say?" 

"I want to punch him in the face," I say honestly. "But that won't help anything, will it?" 

"Most likely not." 

"Maybe I'll just talk to him about the nudes. Get it over with." 

"If that's what you think is best." 

I don't say anything, just hide my scowl behind my hand. Dr. Robinson catches it anyways and raises her eyebrow, not the least bit offended. "Is something the problem?"

"Why can't you just give me a yes or no answer?" 

"I can't be certain of the outcome, Peyton. What I think is best might not work for you. There is no specific set of rules on meeting ex-boyfriends," She reminds me. "Or therapy in general. " 

"I like rules." 

"Yes. Most people prefer things to be black and white, don't they? Sometimes, however, we must settle for the colors in between." 

Despite my annoyance, I'm a little impressed. "You're a wise chick, Dr. Robinson." 

"Thank you. It's how I got my PhD." 

- () - 

"Call me every three hours." 

"Okay."