Chapter 2: Don't Make Favors

Rule #15: Don't Make Favors

Especially for your little sister

- () -

The rest of summer vacation passes by quickly.

Mostly, I spent the days in my room, applying for jobs, researching animal majors and skyping with my limited amount of friends from Chicago. In fact, the only reason I left the house was when mom forced me.

But I'd relive it all over if I could get of what comes next.

The first day of school.

After weeks of following Melody around in back-to-school shopping, begging mom to let me skip school, applying to colleges, complaining to my friends, the time has finally come. Needless to say, I'm not very happy about it. The first day of school has never treated me kindly.

But, that's okay.

Because this year, I've got a plan.

Peyton's Guide on How to Have a Successful First Day of School

1) First, the basics. My outfit should scream 'get away from me' as much as it can. I think my black boots, my black leather (fake, of course) jacket, my black jeans and my black eyeliner should work fine. I wanted my black lip piercing too, but mom said no.

2) Next, transportation. Melody's taking her bike. I'm taking my skateboard. Easy enough.

3) Then, when I get to school, I'll drop Melody off at her first class and after that, I'll find my locker so I can drop my skateboard inside. If there's some time before class starts, I can go into the girl's bathroom and have a good cry.

4) Lunch should be simple. I'll just go to Subway and eat my ready-made lunch (a veggie sandwich).

5) For my classes, I'll do what I usually do (sit in the back and say nothing), except for gym, which I will ditch. When I'm outside of class, I'll strengthen my reputation by glaring at anybody who looks at me.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard," Melody scoffs, hugging her empty binder closer to her chest. She doesn't seem to notice the curious glances everybody seems to give us as we move through the hallways, but I do.

"What's wrong with it?" I ask, slightly distracted.

"Well, first of all, crying in the girl's bathroom? Didn't you do that last year?"

"It's a cherished tradition."

"Okay, fine, I guess I can appreciate that. But, what's this about ditching gym? I thought mom said you couldn't ditch any classes this year unless you want to kiss your college tuition good-bye."

"Gym isn't a class, it's a period where teenagers rank each other on how well they play kickball and how good they look in a school uniform."

Melody thinks for a minute. "Oh - I got one - what about going out for lunch at Subway? Not that Subway is a bad thing, it's actually pretty good. But, you do know we're not allowed to go off campus during school hours, right?"

Actually, I did not know this.

"Great," I grumble. There goes the one part I was actually looking forward to today. "Maybe I'll just eat in the library or something."

"Or, and this just an idea, you could eat in the cafeteria, with the rest of the normal, non-insane, people. Why don't you just ask Archer? I mean, sure, you haven't talked to him all summer, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't care. He's even asked about you some times."