The Unexpected Visit

I woke up to the sound of footsteps running down the stairs and then voices which I assumed was my sister and mom in the kitchen.

I managed to pull myself out of bed to get changed into a knee length, white flowing skirt and a baby blue shirt tucked into it. I quickly put some makeup on and brushed my hair before making my way downstairs to say good morning to my family. I didn't get to see them the previous night because I got home way past midnight and they were definitely asleep by then.

I remembered the crazy events of the night before, how Randy and I finally broke up after too many arguments, I assumed I also lost my two best friends Cherry and Bob because they'd never stick up for me over one of the most popular socs in Tulsa. I wasn't all that sad, definitely not as sad as I thought I'd be when Randy and I finally broke it off. I also remembered the sweet greaser kids I met at the drive-in and that Dallas guy who walked me home.

I was completely torn from my thoughts by my mother.

"Where were you Last night Veronica? Your father and I stayed up until 1am for you, we were worried sick."

"I was fine mom, just lost track of time, I went to watch a movie with Cherry, Bob and Randy." I looked down at the floor hoping she wouldn't notice my slight anger after thinking about Randy again.

"You told me you'd be home by 11, I almost sent Pandora out to look for you!" She sighed angrily.

"I know, like I said, we lost track of time, I was completely fine."

"So how did you get home, I thought Randy would have been drinking?" She questioned again.

"Uh.. No he didn't drink last night, he drove me and Cherry home, then went out." I looked down again, trying to conceal my lie.

"Veronica Louise Langdon, don't you dare lie to me." She spoke sternly, I looked up and my eyes instantly met with hers. I didn't know how she's react if I told her a stranger from the other side of town walked me home.

"Fine. Randy and I had a little argument last night and he got into a bit of trouble with some guys at the store so I was gonna walk home, but I was pretty lost so a guy from the other side of town walked me home." I blurted out, instantly regretting it. If looks could kill, I'd be lying dead in the middle of the kitchen floor right now.

"You did what? You know what people that side of town are like Veronica, they're hooligans." She stopped and began to calm down slightly knowing that she couldn't do anything about it because it was too late, it already happened.

"What's this boy's name then?" She asked, finally carrying on with making breakfast for Pandora and I.

"Dallas Winston."

"You're friends with Dallas Winston? He's a greaser!" My sister almost shouted, seeming pretty angry.

"So what, they're not as bad as everyone says they are, they're actually good people Pandora, they ain't ever looking for a fight, unlike the socs, they only fight out of self defence."

"Whatever, at least socs don't jump little kids like Dallas Winston's gang." She snapped straight back at me.

"That's exactly what they do Pandora, that's exactly why I broke up with Randy last night. He jumped a sweet greaser boy who couldn't have been older than 13!" I screamed.

Pandora and I ended up having a full blown argument in the kitchen, that was the first proper argument I ever had with her. We obviously always argued like siblings do but it was always over something stupid and we would end up forgiving each other after a while. This was different, she was talking badly about people who I considered to be my friends.

I couldn't stand being in the same house as her much longer. I told my mom I was going out to clear my head and I left.

I had nowhere to go, usually when I needed to blow off some steam after something went down at home I could just go to see Cherry, Bob or Randy, they weren't exactly options anymore.

I decided to head to the store where the fight between Randy and Ponyboy happened to get some breakfast since I had to skip it at home.

As I approached the store I heard voices calling me from behind me.

"Veronica!!"

I turned around to see Two-bit and Johnny, two of the sweet greasers I met last night.

"Oh hey guys, I didn't expect to run into you guys again." I giggled, feeling relieved to see some friendly familiar faces around here.

"We didn't expect to see you round this side of town again, especially after what happened with ya boyfriend and Pony." Johnny added.

"EX-boyfriend and yeah I didn't think I'd come back to be honest but I needed to blow off some steam. Family problem you know?"

"Totally I get it."

"Wait you and that complete douchebag broke up?" Two-bit interrupted.

I turned my eyes towards the floor and scraped my shoes against the ground. "Yeah.. I couldn't stand to see him hurting sweet guys like Ponyboy."

Two-bit and Johnny nodded deciding not to ask anymore questions about the socs and I. There was a silence for a few seconds before Two-bit spoke again.

"Got any plans for today Veronica? Me and Johnny are going to Pony's house to have a chill day if you wanna join. I'm sure nobody would mind, then ya could meet the rest of the gang." He asked raising an eyebrow at me.

"That actually sounds great. Are you sure nobody would mind if I tagged along?" I questioned.

"Course not."

I followed them back to Pony's house walking a few steps behind the boys letting them have their own conversation, I was happy just listening.

I was pretty nervous about what their gang would think of me being a 'soc' and all. Two-bit, Johnny and Pony seemed fine with it, so I was hoping the rest of them would be okay too.

We arrived at the house and the boys bursted in without even knocking on the door, I figured they must be pretty close to be able to do that.

"Pony, we got a visitor for ya." I heard Johnny call to him.

Ponyboy made his way over to the door where I was standing and he smiled as soon as he saw me. "Veronica, I wasn't expecting to see you so soon, come in and meet the gang!"

He grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me over to where some boys were sitting.

"This is my brother Sodapop and this is his best friend Steve Randle, and guys this is my new friend Veronica" He pointed to two guys who looked around my age, who were sprawled out across the sofa.

Sodapop had sandy brown hair which fell slightly over his forehead, beautiful blue eyes and a perfectly chiseled face. He smiled at me and shook my hand. Steve was also pretty attractive, he had much darker hair and it was slicked back with lots of grease, he had dark eyes to match his hair. He didn't shake my hand because he was too busy stuffing his face with cake but he nodded at he and said a quiet hello.

Ponyboy grabbed my hand again and took me over to the kitchen where a much older looking boy stood, arms folded across his chest.

"This is my oldest brother Darrel, but everyone calls him Darry. Darry, this is Veronica."

He held out his hand for me to shake and we exchanged a hello.

I could tell that Darry was Ponyboy and Sodapop's brother instantly, he was just as attractive as them both of them, sharing features with them both.

Ponyboy led me back into the living room where everyone was now sitting down, getting ready to watch some movie that Two-bit had picked out. I got comfortable by squeezing myself in between Ponyboy and Steve on the sofa.

"Where's Dally, he was meant to be here before the movie started." Johnny sighed, looking genuinely sad.

Just as Johnny said that the door swung open and a tall, dark haired boy who seemed pretty out of breath walked in and smiled. "Sorry I'm late."

I knew exactly who that smile belonged to. Dallas Winston