Melancholy

"He's your what?!"

The same look of anger that spread across Dallas' face when he stormed out a few days ago was back again but with added sadness this time, I knew that if we was able to move, he would have left again.

I wouldn't bring myself to say anything. I didn't want to make Dallas any more irritated, but I also didn't want to leave the house, even if Dallas and I couldn't be friends because of our differences, I still wanted to be friends with the rest of the gang.

Without either of us saying another word, I got up and walked out of the room. Dallas didn't bother calling after me, I knew he wouldn't but a part of me hoped he would.

I wanted to talk to someone, not about my problems, just for company. I didn't really know Darry that well but I figured that he could use some company too, he is always doing stuff for the gang but never seems to hang around with anyone, it must get real lonely for him.

I made my way up to the stairs and hesitantly knocked on the door. Seconds later he came over and opened it. He looked pretty surprised to see me there.

"Oh, Veronica.. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, just thought you could use some company.."

He shook his head and chuckled. "What happened between you and Dally?"

I was confused about what he meant, how did he know something happened?

"What?" I questioned.

"Well I figured since you're up here and Dally is probably still downstairs. Also it wouldn't surprise me, it's Dallas Winston after all, he argues with everyone, pushes them away and all.."

"He does?" I looked down,I didn't know why I felt so empty hearing that, I didn't even like Dallas, how could I? I barely even knew him.

Darry could see my sadness, he knew how to see what people were feeling, he had to look after his two younger brothers so that's probably where he picked it up from.

He opened the door and lead me over to the end of his bed, he sat down so I followed him and did the same.

"Yeah, everyone but Johnny, Dally loves him like a brother, knows what he's going through. He'll always stick up for Johnny in a fight, he's got a real soft spot for him."

I nodded knowingly, not really having anything to say back.

I looked around the room, it was pretty much empty apart from his bed, a couple of pairs of shoes scattered across the floor and a cupboard for clothes. On top of the cupboard there was a picture of a man and woman together , they both resembled all three of the Curtis brothers perfectly, the woman had sandy brown hair down to her ribs and light blue eyes just like Sodapop and Darry's. The man had short, messy brown hair with hazel eyes, just like Ponyboy. I could only assume they were their parents.

"Are they your parents?" I asked, pointing over to the picture.

"Yes.." Darry walked over to the picture and picked it up, wiping away some dust from the top of the frame.

"What happened?" I asked hesitantly.

"They were going on vacation up to Kansas, they got into a car crash on the way. Happened almost 3 years ago now." Darry set the picture back down in its spot and came back to sit down.

"I'm so sorry Darry..." I grabbed his hands. "You're an amazing brother to Sodapop and Ponyboy. You know that right?"

He tried to stop himself from crying, I'm sure he didn't want to seem soft around me. He probably didn't want to seem weak to anyone in the gang either. Bottling all of his sadness and anger for almost three years, not being able to do anything about it and trying to seem strong and happy in front of his brothers must be difficult.

"Darry, it's okay." I wasn't the best at comforting people who were grieving, but I wanted to be there for him. I leaned over and hugged him, he was hesitant at first but soon hugged me back.

We heard the the front door open and then slam shut. Darry let go of me and stood up.

"Better go check which one of the troublemakers it is." He laughed wiping his nose.

He walked down the stairs and I followed closely behind him. When we got down the stairs we were greeted by Ponyboy, Johnny and Two-bit.

"What happened to ya this time Dal? I told you to stop fighting, I hate it when you fight." Johnny rushed over to Dallas' side to check how badly hurt we was.

"I know Johnnycakes, it's the socs, all they ever wanna do is fight us."

Johnny stayed by Dallas' side while Ponyboy and Two-bit began to talk to Darry and I.

"Where were they?" Pony questioned looking over at Dallas.

"In the diner, Randy and Bob showed up again." I answered before I Dallas could, knowing he would just try to make the situation worse.

"And you'll never guess what Ponyboy." Dallas called over with a mischievous tone to his voice.

"What?"

"Randy and Veronica used to be a thing, ya know."

Everyone turned to me in shock, even Johnny who was previously taking care of Dallas.

"Wait, for real?" Ponyboy asked.

I nodded feeling completely ashamed that I ever had anything to do with that asshole. I didn't want to be know as Randy' EX girlfriend, I just wanted to be Veronica. I didn't want to be a soc, I just wanted to be a human. But I guess stuff like that doesn't exist in Tulsa.

"What the fuck Veronica. I thought you were helping me and Johnny that night because you cared, I guess you just didn't want a reputation for jumping kids."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sorry thins chapter is kinda short, I just wanted to get a bit of background information on the Curtis brothers in.

Also this book is almost at 100 reads, thank you!

Kiraa💖