Get Out While You Can

I really wish I didn't have to see Dallas Winston again, if we spent anymore time alone together I'd probably fall in love with him.

Minutes after Dallas walked out to smoke, Sodapop and Ponyboy came down the hall asking for breakfast.

Darry had probably left for work early because he'd have to walk due to his car breaking down and if he hadn't have he'd be preparing breakfast for his brothers.

I knew that the boys were way too lazy to make breakfast, they probably didn't even know how. I decided to make some cereal for the two boys, I also took over a bowl of cereal to a sleepy looking Johnny who was still on the sofa, now awake though.

I made the same for myself and ate it quickly, I also thought it would be a good idea to ask Dallas if he wanted anything.

I opened the door to see Dallas sitting on the doorstep still smoking.

"Want any breakfast Dal?"

"Nah doll I'm good."

I shrugged and span around to make my way back in but he stopped me.

"Wanna come see Tim and Curley with me today Ronnie."

"Sure." I replied knowing I didn't have anything better to do with my day.

I went back in and went straight up to Darry's room to get changed. I carefully folded his clothes that I was wearing and left them on the bed. I changed into a long white and blue polka dot dress with a white jacket over the top.

I made my way downstairs to see the whole gang, aside from Darry, in the kitchen.

"Steve you ready?" Sodapop shouted to Steve who was sneaking chocolate cake out of the fridge.

"Yup!" Steve ran back into the living room with cake all over his face.

The whole gang laughed at him almost in sync and he looked completely confused.

"We're gonna go work on Darry's car, then go over to the DX, see ya guys later." Sodapop grabbed his DX shirt and made his way out of the door with Steve following closely behind.

"Ready to go Ronnie?" Dallas smirked over at me.

I nodded picking up my bag from behind the chair.

"Johnnycake? Pony? do ya wanna come?" Dallas asked.

"I got homework." Ponyboy sighed.

"I guess I'll stay here with Pony and Twobit." Johnny replied.

Dallas made his way outside to a pretty nice looking car.

"Is this yours Dallas?" I questioned.

"Nah, Buck gave it to me."

And with that we got into the car and made our way to the same place we ate food a couple days ago, where we first met the Shepard brothers, and where Randy and Bob harassed us.

We walked in and sat in the same booth as before, however, this time Tim and Curley were already sitting there. Dallas sat by Tim so I slid in to sit by Curley.

We all greeted each other and ordered some cokes. Tim and Dallas started talking about some rumble that was meant to happen in a few weeks, Curley didn't seem all that interested and I had no idea what they even meant by rumble.

We listened in every couple of minutes but me and Curley began having our own conversation.

"So, you new in town." He questioned.

"No I've lived here just over 2 years, I always stuck with the socs though."

"Oh.. So what happened." 

"I broke up with my boyfriend because I hated how he'd jump greasers, he's pretty popular though so everyone's on his side, even my best friend Cherry."

"Cherry Valance?"

"Yeah, you know her?"

"Mhm, her boyfriend and his best friend Randy jumped me a couple of days ago."

I didn't exactly want to tell him that Randy was my ex now that I knew it was probably a sensitive topic for him, just like it was for Dallas, Ponyboy and Johnny

"Oh."

The conversation between us soon died down when Tim joined in.

"Ya ready to go Curley."

"Yeah."

We all payed for our cokes and left the diner, this time with a lot more ease. Like last time, Curley and Tim walked in the opposite direction which left Dallas and I.

"I'm staying at Buck's tonight, wanna come to my room for a couple hours?"

"Yeah sure."

We walked back to Buck's place. Buck didn't seem to be around so Dallas picked up a key from behind the bar and we walked upstairs to the same room as a couple of days ago.

We both sat down on the bed with a coke and we actually talked. No snarky remarks, no sarcasm, just a normal conversation. I felt like I was really getting to know Dallas, it made me see a different side of him, a side that I could tell didn't come out very often, it was almost soft, it was a lot like how I expected him to be after he walked me home when we first met.

It was well past sunset and we were still chatting, making jokes at each other. We were deep in conversation when we heard a knock at the door. Who could it be at this time of the evening? Dallas didn't look too happy that someone wanted him, he got up and went to answer the door regardless.

He opened the door wide to see Ponyboy and Johnny walking in. Johnny was shivering and it looked like he had been crying a lot. Ponyboy was soaked to the skin, shivering. He also looked like he'd been crying but nowhere near as much as Johnny.

"What are you guys doing here?" Dallas questioned looking just as confused as I felt.

"Johnny killed a soc." Ponyboy said clearly trying to hold back tears.

"Firstly take that sweatshirt off Pony, you'll freeze to death before the fuzz catch ya." Dallas chucked a plaid shirt in Ponyboy's direction.

Dallas searched through the drawer again and pulled out a gun and chucked it to Johnny. "Here.. Don't point the thing at me it's loaded."  Johnny instantly put the gun into his pocket, shaking as he did so.

"Here's 50 bucks." Dallas handed Johnny money out of his back pocket before turning to Ponyboy. "Look, I won't be the one to tell your brothers about this, I'll get my head kicked in."

"Then don't tell them!" Ponyboy cried.

Dallas brought the boys over to the bed where I was sitting and pulled them both close to him so he could whisper to them.

"Get the 3:15 train to Windrixville, there's an abandoned church above Jay mountain, there's a pump in the back do ya won't have to worry about water." Dallas lit a cigarette before speaking up again. "Get a weeks supply of food as soon as you get there, then don't so much as stick your nose out of the door, am I clear?"

They both nodded looking extremely nervous, Ponyboy continued to cry. Dallas patted his back in hope that it would make him feel better. "C'mon relax Pony, you'll be fine."

Dallas stood up, Ponyboy and Johnny did the same. They made their way for the door and left without another word.

"And I thought New York City was the only place I'd end up in a murder rap." Dallas sighed.