Sunsets And Sad Songs

I knew exactly who that smile belonged to. Dallas Winston.

He looked around the room smiling at the rest of the gang, he had to double take when he saw me.

"Veronica?" He questioned "how did you meet the gang?"

"I met Ponyboy and Johnny at the drive-in, they introduced me to Two-bit just before I met you."

He nodded knowingly, the rest of the gang looked at each other in complete confusion.

"The real question is, how did you meet Dally, Veronica?" Ponyboy asked, looking even more confused than he did before.

"He walked me home after Randy tried to jump you and Johnny." I blushed.

Ponyboy and Johnny both looked at me like I'd just killed someone, I knew I'd said the wrong thing.

"Wait Dally walked you home... Doesn't sound like something he'd do-" Ponyboy tried to ask making the situation better before being cut off by Dallas.

"Randy jumped you guys again? I'm gonna get that son of a bitch the next time I see him."

Dallas looked completely different to what he did last night. His once kind hearted features were now the complete opposite. The gang had all tensed up because of Dallas' new mood.

I could tell both Ponyboy and Johnny wanted to say something but were too afraid to make Dallas any more angry.

Finally Johnny spoke up. "Nah it was nothing really, Veronica got Randy to leave us alone, nobody got badly hurt."

Dallas walked over to Johnny and sat on the side of his seat, checking Johnny's face to make sure he wasn't hurt.

"So what did you do Ronnie? flirt your way into helping Johnny and Ponyboy." Dallas smirked over at me.

"I'd rather die than flirt with that asshole."  I smirked back.

"Aw, did he do something to you to princess. Oh no wait, course he didn't, socs don't jump other socs." He glared at me angrily over from where he was sitting.

"Shut up Dallas, I was just trying to help them because I actually care about people, but it's not like you'd know anything about that!." I shouted.

I got up from the sofa I was previously sitting on and I stormed past Dallas heading for the door. I could hear most of the boys either calling for me to come back or telling me to ignore Dallas. I couldn't, I just wanted some friends around here. I lost all of my friends trying to help these guys and now I'm being driven away, I haven't even known them that long.

I stopped running when I got to the fountain, I sat down with my back against it and put my head against my knees.

I sat there for what felt like seconds but was probably at least half an hour before I heard a familiar voice.

"Veronica! Finally, I was looking everywhere for you."

I slowly lifted my head to see Ponyboy standing there. I gave him a weak smile and he came and sat beside me.

"Look Veronica, I know Dally seems like an asshole, and don't get me wrong he definitely can be, but he ain't half bad most of the time."

"I believe you Ponyboy. He just seemed like such a sweet guy last night, now this." I sighed.

"Yeah he's like that, always tryna impress pretty girls, soon as he gets 'em interested he shuts 'em off."

"Oh right." I didn't have the energy to say anything else, I think Ponyboy could see it because he just sat beside me in silence.

We sat beside the fountain not saying a word for what felt like hours, the silence wasn't awkward at all, I felt grateful that somebody actually just wanted to sit with me and keep me company even if it was quiet.

The only sounds we could hear were the cars going past with their radios blasting, other people walking past the fountain and the sounds of our own breathing.

Ponyboy finally broke the silence. "The sunset is beautiful, ain't it?"

I giggled at him, not expecting a greaser like him to be so soft.

"Hey don't laugh! Johnny and Dally always laugh at me when I talk about the sunset, I just think it looks cool, like the colours and stuff, ya know?"

"I get ya Ponyboy, I haven't ever thought about it before but the sunset is actually really beautiful." I look over to Ponyboy, to see him grinning extremely hard at my comment.

"Finally, someone gets it!" He claps in excitement.

He stands up quickly and stretches out his hand to help me up too.

"C'mon, let's get back to the gang, they're probably wondering where we are." He smiles and leads me back in the direction of his house.

When we get back, I let him go in first because I was too scared to, he lets me in and closes the door behind me. I scan my eyes around the room only to notice the whole gang is present apart from Dallas.

"Where's Dallas?" I whisper to Ponyboy.

I guess Sodapop heard because he answered my question before Ponyboy even had a chance to think about it. "He just left, he didn't wanna be here when ya got back, he was pretty mad that he upset ya, he didn't mean it Veronica."

I nodded at him but didn't say anything. I wanted to go and look for Dallas more than anything, I didn't want to see him mad, I know he is a good guy deep down, he just doesn't wanna seem soft to the gang.

I reached over for the door ready to go out looking for him before Ponyboy grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"You can't go now, it's way too dangerous this side of town at this time of night, stay with us tonight I'm sure Darry won't mind."

Darry overheard the conversation and looked up from the newspaper he was reading and nodded in agreement.

I was upset I couldn't go and find Dallas but I was also grateful that I had a place to stay for the night, now that I didn't have Dallas to walk me home, I knew I couldn't go back, knowing my luck I'd end  up running into Randy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sorry this is such a crappy chapter, it was just a filler kinda thing, I promise they'll get better!

Kiraa💖