Chasing Pavements

It had been four days since Johnny killed Randy and four days since Ponyboy and Johnny had to run away.

Everyone really missed them, even Steve missed them a little and he barely spoke to them. Ponyboy being gone was really taking its toll on Darry, he was more stressed than usual, he even got angry at Sodapop from time to time now, which made the whole gang tense and unhappy.

I needed to go to see them, maybe I could even take Sodapop with me to let him see his little brother. I knew that Dallas would kill me if I even dreamed about telling Sodapop where they were, but I knew I had to go and see them. There was only one person I could go with though, that was Dallas.

I left my house very early so none of my family would be awake, I left a note on the table saying I might be gone for a few days but not to worry, I was just staying with friends.

I knew that Dallas would either be at the Curtis' house or at Bucks. Bucks place was closer to my house so I thought it would be a good idea to search there first. I knocked on the door to be greeted by a very tired looking Buck.

"Hey, you're Dally's friend right?" He questioned.

"Yeah, have ya seen him."

"He left a couple hours ago I think."

"Know where he went?"

"Not a clue, he took my car though, so probably driving somewhere?"

"Oh.. Ok, well thanks anyway Buck."

And with that he shut the door. I guess the only other place to check would be the Curtis' house, so I made my way over. I knocked on their door but I let myself in.

Sodapop and Steve were sat on the sofa eating breakfast in their work uniform, apart from them the house seemed pretty silent.

"Have you guys seen Dallas?"

"No haven't seen him since yesterday, why?" Soda explained.

"I haven't seen him for a few days just worried. I was just gonna ask him if he wanted to go for a drive." I lied, not wanting to let the truth about Ponyboy and Johnny get out yet.

"Are you gonna see Pony?" He asked sounding excited yet nervous.

"No, I don't even know where he is."

I hated lying to my friends but I only did it because I didn't want anyone going to look for Ponyboy and Johnny, that would only put more attention on the situation.

Sodapop handed me a folded up sheet of paper. "Give this to Ponyboy if you see him, please?"

I nodded and let myself out of the house. The only place I had to go now was back home, Dallas couldn't be far and I figure that he'd show up in a couple of days.

I continued walking up the sidewalk when I heard a loud beep of a car horn, I turned around to see Dallas in Bucks old car.

"Dallas! I've been looking everywhere for you, where the hell have you been?"

"Looking for you.."

I laughed, Dallas motioned for me to get into the car so I let myself into the car onto the passenger seat.

"Veronica, I'm gonna go visit Johnny and Pony, you wanna come?"

"What now?"

"Yeah, they probably ain't eaten properly in days, we better take them to get something."

Dallas drove off, and we were on our way to Windrixville. We drove for a while, we didn't talk much, we were more concerned about how Johnny and Ponyboy were doing. After all of the patience the wait was over and we were finally on top of Jay Mountian. Dallas parked the car along side the abandoned church. We both crept in to see Ponyboy sleeping on a rotting bench and Johnny was sleeping on the bench next to him.