Fight Fire With Fire

I was let out from the hospital early, probably because my only injuries were a small burn on my cheek and a burn on my leg. 

The nurses had gotten in contact with Darry and Sodapop, and they were supposed to come and collect us as soon as they could.

We didn't have to wait long, the door burst open and Ponyboy shot out of his seat, I barely even noticed, I was too focuses on Johnny, all I wanted was for him to be okay, I'm sure that's what we all wanted.

I knew he was dying, I didn't wanna admit it but I knew. With just the burns maybe he would have been okay, severely scarred, but okay. However, in Johnny's state, there ain't no recovering, his back is busted too so even if he did recover, he wouldn't be able to walk again.

I snapped out of my thoughts to a pair of hands gripping my shoulders. I looked up to be greeted by Darry who looked like he'd been crying. I got up and wrapped my arms around him giving him a tight hug.

"Veronica, I'm so glad you're okay!"

Soda joined in and hugged us both "Me too."

In no time Ponyboy was hugging us too, I was glad to be back and safe with my friends, but all I wanted to do was go home and get to bed, sleeping was the only time I had away from this mess.

Darry told me to stay with them tonight so he could take Ponyboy and I to see Johnny and Dallas at the hospital early in the morning. I didn't decline, if I went home I know my parent would ask questions about why I was burnt so I decided I'd call them tomorrow to let them know I was safe.

Just like he said he would, Darry drove us to the hospital at 8am so we could see the boys, he also picked Twobit up on the way. we decided to see Dallas first, I think both me and Ponyboy were dreading seeing Johnny the way he was.

We walked into Dallas' room to see him sat on top of the bed with his hospital gown draped over the side. He nurse came in after us and said something about her not being able to wait until Dallas gets out. I don't blame her, he was acting up in that room, but he had a good reason to, he was losing his best friend.

"Ponyboy, Tim came to visit, told me the rumble is tonight, he's gone to your place to tell the gang."

Ponyboy nervously started down at the floor "Tonight? But you'll still be here... A rumble ain't a rumble without you Dal."

"We'll work something out.." Dallas looked over at Twobit who was standing behind Ponyboy and I. "You still got that blade Two?"

Course he did, he carried that thing with him everywhere he went, I don't think I've ever seen him without it.

"Yeah, why?"

Dallas held his hand out and made a come here motion, Twobit placed the switchblade into Dallas hand. I was terrified I though he was going to cut himself or something but he pressed it softly against his forehead.

"We Gotta do this for Johnny, let's do it for Johnny!" He chucked the blade back at Twobit who caught it and quickly stuck it back in his pocket.

We said our goodbyes to Dallas and made our way to Johnny's room. He was in the exact same position as the night before, except he looked far worse. His eyes were sunken in and his skin was pale.

Johnny managed to choke out a few words when he was us. "Hey guys."

We all greeted him, taking it in turns to step forward to look at him through the mirror that was placed beneath him. I couldn't stop tears from falling when I saw him lying there like that, I'm pretty sure I even saw Twobit crying. This was hurting everyone, including Dallas, nothing hurts Dallas, but Johnny is different.

After minuets of silence Twobit was desperately trying to lift the mood. "You know the rumble is tonight, we're gonna beat the socs!"

"That's great guys." Johnny winced in pain but relaxed a few seconds later.

I stepped forward to speak to Johnny, I tried to keep my emotions in. "We'll come to see you after okay?"

"Sure, see you soon, don't have too much fun."

We all laughed at Johnny's reply and he tried to choke out a laugh too. We walked down the hall to the door, Darry was meant to meet us outside at 11am to take us home.

We walked down the street to see Darry sat in his car reading a newspaper. I got in the front with Darry, Ponyboy and Twobit got into the back seats.

After a quiet 10 minute drive we were back at the Curtis' house, everyone was there, even Tim and Curley.

I walked over to Curley and greeted him, I hadn't seen him in a few days so I decided to say hey.

"Soo.. Why is everyone here?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "Getting ready for the rumble."

"You guys wanna look good, just for a fight." I laughed.

"Yeah it's kinda stupid but we always do."

I smiled in confusion. "Can I come?"

Darry walked past as I asked, I really wish he hadn't heard me. "Absolutely not Veronica, you getting hurt is the last thing we need."

I signed loudly and crossed my arms. "Can I at least watch?"

"If you sit in my car.. Fine."

I smiled and clapped my hands. When everyone was ready we made our was over to the lot, the greasers turned up first but the socs came pretty soon after. I watched them line up opposite eachother from the car.

Just before everyone was ready to start I saw a familiar figure running towards the two lines of people, they stood next to Sodapop, at that moment I knew exactly who it was. Dallas Winston.

The next thing I knew Bob threw a punch right at Ponyboy's face which made him hit the ground with force. That started the rumble, before I knew it everyone was covered in mud and blood from head to toe.

All of the boys were someone their own size which meant the fights were pretty equal, apart from one. Ponyboy had one soc sitting on his chest holding his arms while Bob continually punched him in the face. I knew I had to go help him, I didn't want to get involved in the rumble but I wanted to help Ponyboy.

I pushed the car door open and ran over to Ponyboy, the two socs that were on him just stopped and looked at me like I was crazy. Then Bob gave me a glare and I knew he recognised who I was. He let go on Ponyboy, leaving him to the other soc and he grabbed my arm pulls me over to him. He slapped me across the face keeping an emotionless expression on his face.

I called out for someone but everyone was too busy. I was on the floor trying to fight back against Bob but it was no use, he was so much stronger than I am. After a few more hits he got off me and started walking away, the rest of the socs walked off too.

The greasers stared jumping and screaming which indicated that they won. I stayed on the floor I couldn't feel my face. I was startled by someone shaking me, I opened my eyes to see Darry.

"C'mon we Gotta get you and Pony to the hospital."

He picked me up and carried me to Dallas' car. I looked over to see Ponyboy, I didn't know who was in worse condition. Me or him.