🌸 11

I wake up early this morning to avoid seeing Angela and Jack. Walking up to the reception desk, I greet the night receptionist.

"It's rare to see you so early cadet Hana." The girl says as she clocks me in. I awkwardly smile at her.

"Just busy working on a new case." I say to her as she hands me my ID.

"Good luck!" She says cheerfully. I wave farewell to her before heading up to the office. The room completely dark as I look at my phone reading 5AM. I don't know how long I can keep this up.

Here I am going to work early just to avoid Jack and Angela...

I place my purse down on my desk and grab a folder and pen from the drawer. With the quietness of the office I can focus on gathering information about Olivia. Last night was a bust for Genji and I. We went to three bars after the first one. I can only assume Olivia doesn't go there every night or maybe we just walked past one another.

I enter the file room and sit at one of the computers. My fingers busily type in my login and load up a file on Olivia.

An hour goes by and I hear the office bustle with voices. I put my pen down and lean back in the chair.

What time is it?

I look at the time on the computer that reads '6:38 AM'.

Oh shit, how did I not hear the meeting going on?

Grabbing my things I walk into the office where a few cadets are sitting at their desks working on their own cases. I glance at the white board to see my name beside Jack's.

I think not.

"Oh, there you are." Genji says from behind me as he holds a stack of papers. "When did you come in?"

"I came in early...around 5AM." I say to Genji. He looks at the file in my hand.

"Early bird gets the worm." He says as I try not to giggle at his old quote.

"Han- Cadet." Jack calls out to me as he opens the door to his office. I try to look him in the eye but it's incredibly difficult to not just remember the lust in his eyes for Angela. "Can we talk in my office?" A few cadets glance at me with a surprised look as I glance down at my file.

It doesn't look like I have an escape if he's calling me out like this.

I nod my head and unwillingly walk into his office. Genji purses his lips as Lena runs up to him.

"Shouldn't we go save her Chief?" Lena asks Genji as he tries to think.

Jack closes the door behind us. I walk over to his desk and take a seat while he walks over to his own seat. He folds his hands together and downcast my eyes to my lap.

God this is awkward.

"Um..." Jacks voice wavering and I shyly look up at him. The worry on his face making me feel slightly guilty for avoiding his calls last night. "I'm going to be straightforward here." Jacks blue eyes look deeply into mine. "Is Genji telling the truth...about you having feelings for me?"

I feel my heart erratically beat from his question and my cheeks warm up.

Jack takes my silence as a yes. He runs his fingers through his hair.

"I'm sorry I didn't notice your feelings, Hana. I only assumed you were a bit standoffish because you didn't trust me."

I sit in silence as he speaks.