Coal

When I woke up, I realized that a warm body was pressing against me, wrapped in my wings. I smiled. Zero must have had another nightmare...poor kid. I reached in to stroke his hair. He's been having nightmares lately. I don't know why, I don't know what I can do. It really hurts me. Zero is a little brother to me in every way except blood. Just forty years ago, I found him huddled next to a willow. Staring straight ahead, muttering words and clutching a old red amulet. I knew he was a ghost dragon, because he openly cried little bloody rivers on his cold cheeks. This was the youngest halfling I had ever met. He was only seventy, and very small. I heard that a baby dragon had lost his mother recently. It must have been his, because who else would be crying and clutching a keepsake like that. Poor kid. My father had been a royal fire dragon, and my mother the most beautiful human you had ever laid eyes on. Everydragon told me that I looked just like her. That I had her raven black hair, her pale skin, and her cheeky smile. But I had my father's blizzard blue eyes. When I was born, my mother fell deathly ill. My father tended to her everyday, even though it was hopeless. I knew how much he loved her. She had amazing stories to tell, and could fix anything and everything with a smile. So when my father came down from our treehouse to tell me she was gone, it too much for forty year old me. I feel like something inside me snapped. From then on, it was me and my father. One of my mother's friends weaves her old dress into a hat for my father, and when he died weaver it into a cloak for me. I've worn it ever since.
I was about fall asleep again when I noticed something. The body nestled into the folds of my wings was a bit bigger. More nimble, and had a squishy chest. Peeking on the small body, I stifled a scream. Cuddled right up to me was Adeline! Warm blood trickled down my nose as I blushed. I have had a crush on addy since we met. A beautiful fifty year old girl, with forest green eyes and redish brown hair. Ever since then, I've tried to work up the courage to tell her my feelings. I tried to think of a way out of predicament. My won't my my stupid brain work when I need it to! I was about to roll over when I heard a yawn. Adeline stretched her wings and sat up worried. Oh, did I forget to mention that she used my chest to prop herself up? "Coal? Where are we? Where are the others? What happened?" I realized that I'd been too busy thinking about addy to realize that we were in a totally new place. She stood up fully and I did the same. As soon as I was on my feet, a ringing crash sounded through the small forest clearing. Addy ran into my arms and gripped me tight. So cute...too cute!! I thought as blood spurted from my nose and I blacked out. When i awoke, she was sitting on a nearby rock looking flustered. I sat up and called out weakly. She whipped around, and all it took was one murderous glare and my blood ran cold. The next thing I knew, I was laying in a crater with a swollen head and addy yelling at me about to never tell anyone that she did that. "Meep..." was my only reply.